2001 Mack cx 613 e7 460 engine problems

Tonka Express

Question

Good afternoon guys. I was seeing if any of you guys ever encountered your mack, STALLING at take off. It started doing this 3yrs ago. After running the truck kinda hard ( colorado and wyoming). I stop at a red light or stop sign, and in take off  all of a sudden I have power loss, like the truck is about to shut off and the truck sounds like if the engine brake is on, IT RUMBLES HARD and black smoke comes out the mufflers. 2 years ago it did it big time in wyoming. So bad that I had to park and the truck wanted to turn off. It reminded me of the muscle cars that have big cams. The truck threw a lot of smoke black and white. Right now i have 1,078,635 miles on it. Ohh yes and my engine oil temp and exhaust nearly RED LINE when I run up those big hills.

3 answers to this question

Just now, Mack Technician said:

I guess it was the first ETECH's , later they came out with a download and we were told to remove the resistor. SL210013

Pub Type: Letter

Group Code: 210

Number: SL210013

Former Number:

Date: 10/23/1998

Model: E-TECH™ ENGINE

Title: ENGINE MISFIRE — E-TECH™ ENGINE

Engine Misfire — E-Tech™ Engine

In certain vehicle applications and operating environments, a temporary engine misfire with accompanying white smoke may be experienced on some E-Tech™ engines. This condition will generally be noticed when the engine is idling with the coolant temperature in the normal operating range, and little or no cooling air flow across the charge air cooler. It may also be noticed when a loaded vehicle accelerates after a momentary stop (such as stopping for a traffic signal, toll booth, etc.).

To eliminate this condition, an engine ECU service data file has been developed by Mack Trucks, Inc. To receive the appropriate data file, a request must be made to the District Service Manager serving your location. Other means of correcting this misfire condition, such as installing a resistor, must not be used. Additionally, any trucks which have had a resistor installed, must have the resistor removed, and the engine ECU must be reprogrammed with the proper service data file.

To summarize, the following procedures must be used to correct an engine misfire as described above:

Contact your DSM and request to have the engine ECU data file activated.

Use MackNet to download the engine ECU service data file from the MACK Mainframe.

Program the engine ECU with the new service data file.

Upload the verification file to the MACK Mainframe.

Remove the resistor if one had been previously installed

Archive from Mackpro. They programmed the issue out, time to go get your ECM flashed?