IVECO - 2017 Silk Way Rally

kscarbel2

IVECO's countdown to the 2017 Silk Way Rally – the Russia to China rally raid – has begun

IVECO Trucks Press Release  /  July 6, 2017

The PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO Team will participate in the Silk Way Rally for the first time. The race crosses Russia, Kazakhstan and China, totalling almost 10,000 km split into 14 stages.

The Silk Way Rally 2017 will get underway with a ceremonial start in Moscow's Red Square on July 7, ending 15 days later in the city of Xi’an in China. Along the route competitors will complete 14 stages and cross three countries – Russia, Kazakhstan and China – on a route totalling 9,608 km.

IVECO has joined forces once again with the PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO Team: three IVECO trucks – two Powerstars and one Trakker – will compete, backed up by their support team. After technical and administrative checks, the rally gets underway with the first three stages in the Republics that span the Volga and the Bashkortostan regions of Russia. The subsequent four days will be particularly intensive, against the backdrop of the extraordinary landscape of Kazakhstan's steppes. The first Chinese stage will be followed by a rest day – July 16 in Urumqi – that will open the GobiDesert leg. This will mark the start of the toughest part of the competition: seven stages that will see participants navigate the GobiDesert's dunes and treacherous tracks before finally reaching the legendary city of Xi’an.

Pierre Lahutte, IVECO Brand President, said: "The PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO Team's schedule is particularly intense and we are proud to be able to support our drivers once again in this new adventure that will take us to Asia. The strength and versatility of the Trakker and the unique features of the Powerstar, coupled with the abilities of our crews, will enable us to take on and master even the most challenging routes.

The PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO Team at the 2017 Silk Way Rally

Gerard De Rooy, Team leader, on board his new Powerstar, will be flanked by the highly experienced co- pilot Moi Torrallardona. The experienced mechanic Darek Rodewald will travel with them to provide technical support during the competition. With the race nearing, De Rooy stated: "The Silk Way Rally will be a very important test for us. We will participate with three trucks, driven by me, Ton van Genugten and Artur Ardavichus. I can't wait to embark on this new adventure.

The Kazakh Artur Ardavichus, who is a new entry to the team, will have his debut on board the second IVECO Powerstar with Belgian co-pilot Serge Bruynkens and Dutch mechanic Michel Huisman, who are both coming back to the De Rooy Team. “I so much wanted to become part of a highly professional team like this, after witnessing both its organisational capabilities and the excellent IVECO trucks as a competitor over the past few years. I want to make an excellent impression in a race that takes place ‘in my backyard’.

Joining the two Powerstars will be an IVECO Trakker driven by Ton van Genugten, supported by the new - but experienced - Spanish co-pilot Marco Alcayna Ferran and the mechanic Bernard Der Kinderen. “This is my debut at the Silk Way Rally and my mission is to follow Gerard like a shadow and support his new Powerstar. It will be great training for the next Dakar."

A long-standing IVECO partner, PETRONAS Lubricants International, will guarantee its support during the 2017 Silk Way Rally. PETRONAS Lubricants International, as title sponsor and technical partner for the PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO Team, will provide lubricants and functional fluids for rally and support vehicles. The team will use PETRONAS Urania premium engine oil, formulated with the advanced additive technology, specifically designed for total engine protection, enhanced efficiency and performance.

The vehicles in the race

The IVECO Trakker is a vehicle designed to excel in even the most extreme off-road missions for wheeled vehicles. With models which range from 18 to 72 tonnes, the Trakker represents the perfect combination of strength and reliability, and boasts the enhanced comfort of the new generation Stralis cabs – with a choice between Hi-Land (day cab) or Hi-Track (sleeper cab) options. The Trakker range, available in left or right-hand drive, offers extensive scope for customisation for a host of specific missions, courtesy of the IVECO Cursor 9 and Cursor 13 engines. Both cab versions are available in 4x2, 4x4, 6x4, 6x6 and 8x8 configurations, with engine powers ranging from 310 to 500hp. Whether used for working in extreme off- road conditions or for mainly on-road missions with occasional off-road operations, the Trakker can be equipped to optimise payload and fuel consumption.

Follow all developments on www.iveco.com/SilkWay
IVECO will keep fans updated during the rally on www.iveco.com/SilkWay , with daily updates from Asia published in English, Russian and Chinese. Social media channels and the IVECO press site will also be updated daily with news, reports, videos and photos.

image 1.jpg

Silk Way Rally 2017: IVECO and Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO on the ceremonial start podium

IVECO Trucks Press Release  /  July 8, 2017

The PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO Team is ready for the 7th edition of the famous Silk Way Rally raid that will take the team across Russia, Kazakhstan and China in the next two weeks.

Three IVECO trucks will face the extreme and varied terrains of the route with the first stage starting yesterday at 13:35 local time.
Gerard de Rooy will depart first on his entirely renewed IVECO Powerstar, followed by Ton van Genugten behind the wheel of his IVECO Trakker and new team member Artur Ardavichus on the second IVECO Powerstar.

Three Iveco trucks - two Powerstars and one Trakker - took their places in the 2017 Silk Way Rally official start ceremony, which was held in the late afternoon of 7th July in Moscow’s Red Square. After the last few days’ scrutineering and administrative checks in the Loujniki Olympic Stadium, Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO finally started its first amazing adventure in the Silk Way Rally, one of the greatest competitions in the world of rally raids with 14 stages covering almost 10,000 km from Moscow to Xi’An in China.

On board his completely renewed Powerstar, Team leader Gerard De Rooy, debuted on the 2017 Silk Way Rally crossing the start line at 18.24h (Moscow time +1 GMT) in front of hundreds of rally fans: “The engine and cabin on my IVECO Powerstar are the same as in my last Dakar rally, but everything else is new. I’m very happy about going up against the best truck teams and competing in this race – said De Rooy on Red Square –I will start off gently because I really don’t want to miss out on the great dunes of the Gobi Desert!”. Spanish co-pilot Moises “Moi” Torrallardona and Polish mechanic Darek Rodewald, both highly experienced, complete the #302 crew.

Kazakh pilot Artur Ardavichus, the new entry in Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO, was on the second IVECO Powerstar (#310) with Belgian co-driver Serge Bruynkens and Dutch mechanic Michel Huisman. For Ardavichus, born in 1971 in Almaty, the Silk Way Rally is a precious opportunity to become part of a professional team, having started his off-road racing career in 2012.

Dutchman Ton van Genutgen on his #306 IVECO Trakker completes the Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO line-up, and joined the two IVECO Powerstars on the podium start on Moscow’s Red Square.“It’s my first experience in the Silk Way Rally and I’m really excited to take part in this great adventure”.

On Saturday 8th July the first leg of Silk Way Rally will take the three IVECO crews from Moscow to Tcheboksary with a road section of 572 kms to reach the 61 kms–special stage. The track to Nijni Novogorod will be more technical for pilots in the middle of the section and it will be a good exercise to perfect the last settings on the vehicles.

Starting order for SS1 – 8th July
14.41h Airat Mardeev (Kamaz)
14.43h Maarten Van den Brink (Renault)
14.45 Gerard de Rooy (IVECO)
--------
14.53h Ton Van Genutgen (IVECO)
15.00h Artur Ardavichus (IVECO)

image 2.jpg

Silk Way Rally 2017: IVECO on the podium of the first stage from Moscow to Tcheboksary

IVECO Trucks Press Release  /  July 9, 2017

In a short special of just 61 timed kilometres, Dutchman Ton van Genugten’s IVECO Trakker finished in third place, just over 2 minutes behind the winner and ahead of teammates Gerard de Rooy’s and Artur Ardavichus’s IVECO Powerstars.

Gerard de Rooy finished in fifth position and Kazakh pilot Artur Ardavichus in sixth place just 5 seconds behind the team leader.

Today the race will take the drivers from Tcheboksary to Ufa in a second stage that will require the competitors’ best driving skills.

The 7th edition of the Silk Way Rally is underway. The first special stage started yesterday early in the afternoon after a long transfer from Moscow: 61 km on the banks of River Volga ending at the bivuac hosted by Tcheboksary airport. Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO mastered the muddy and slippery track, with Ton van Genugten, IVECO’s man of the day, finishing the stage in third place on board his #306 Trakker. He crossed the finish line just +2m03s from the first position.

Gerard De Rooy and his new IVECO Powerstar finished in the top 5 +4m01s behind the winner. “We started slowly this short stage to take confidence with the truck: the new Powerstar feels good even on the mud – said Team leader De Rooy – The heavy rain has complicated the driving because it’s not easy to see, but for the first day of Silk Way Rally I think we did a good job! We didn’t risk anything and the renovated IVECO behaved very well”.

Artur Ardavichus didn’t take risks either behind the wheel of the second IVECO Powerstar (#310) and achieved a 6th position in this first stage: the Kazakh driver, on board with Belgian co-pilot Bruynkens and Dutch mechanic Huisman, closed the day placing the third IVECO truck in the top 6.

Today Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO will be engaged in the 2nd stage, which will take them from Tcheboksary to Ufa with a leg distance of 785,63 km and a special stage of 157 km. The “Grand Kazan Track” will require the best driving skills of the Team’s drivers because is sometimes narrow and technical and some parts are very fast and winding.

Stage 1 results – Silk Way Rally 2017
1. Martin Kolomy (Tatra) 49m43s
2. Ales Loprais (Tatra) +51s
3. Ton Van Genugten (IVECO) +2m03s
4. Siarhei Viazovich (Maz) +2m35s
5. Gerard De Rooy (IVECO) +4m01s
6. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) +4m06s

Starting order for SS2 – 9th July
--------
06.52h Kolomy (Tatra)
06.56h Loprais (Tatra)
06.58h Van Genugten (IVECO)
07.06h Viazovich (Maz)
07.10h De Rooy (IVECO)
07.12h Ardavichus (IVECO)

image 1.jpg

SILK WAY RALLY 2017: two IVECO trucks on the podium of the second stage

IVECO Trucks Press Release  /  July 10, 2017

Excellent results for Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO at the end of the 2nd stage from Tcheboksary to Ufa: Team leader Gerard de Rooy finishes in 2nd place just ahead of Kazakh teammate Artur Ardavichus who crossed the line third.

With these placements, Gerard de Rooy and Artur Ardavichus now lie in second and third place respectively in the overall classification.

Dutchman Van Genugten didn’t take risks on the slippery track and arrived 9th.

The second special stage of the Silk Way Rally 2017 took the drivers from Tcheboksary to Ufa. Team leader Gerard de Rooy was the great protagonist of a perfect special stage on board his #302 IVECO Powerstar. He started behind the other Dutchman of the team and finished second, improving his overall placement. After two stages on very difficult terrain, De Rooy lies in 2nd place in the partial general classification. “In the first section of the special stage, I drove carefully through the forest and in the water, while in the second part we went faster and we are able to overtake Kamaz. The steering is so precise, it never was of any danger. Today I really enjoyed myself: I can say for the first time I liked driving in the mud.”

Artur Ardavichus, this year’s new entry pilot in Team PETRONAS de Rooy IVECO, did exactly what he wanted to do behind the wheel of his Powerstar: he drove very regularly and finished third: “I was gentle with the truck in order to avoid any problems. The Powerstar is a winner vehicle and I only need to adapt to it. I want to grow up and improve with it. Tomorrow I will drive in Kazakhstan, my country: I’m very happy for this opportunity” – said Ardavichus.

Ton Van Genugten (#306) left in the early morning (6.58h), ahead De Rooy and Ardavichus, and didn’t take risks on the slippery track. Driving carefully, he placed his IVECO Trakker in 9th position in the day’s ranking.

Today the Silk Way Rally will be engaged in the last special in Russia before crossing the border to Kazakhstan and reaching Kostanai at the end of the 329,25 km-long stage 3 and a total distance of 876,39 km. The stage starting from Ufa will be rather fast with many changes of direction; co-pilots will have to pay attention to the road book because of many fast and technical sections among the vegetation.

Stage 2 results – Silk Way Rally 2017

1. Maarten Van den Brink (Renault) 2.h09m45s
2. Gerard de Rooy (IVECO) +2m04s
3. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) +3m17s

4. Anton Shibalov (Kamaz) +4m00s
5. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) +4m57s
-----
9. Ton Van Genutgen (IVECO) +17m24s

Overall classification – Silk Way Rally 2017

1. Maarten Van den Brink 3h05m20s
2. Gerard de Rooy (IVECO) +0m13s
3. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) +1m31s

4. Anton Shibalov (Kamaz) +2m26s
5. Martin Kolomy (Tatra) +5m38s
------
8. Ton Van Genugten (IVECO) +13m35s

Starting order for SS3 – 10th July

05.42h Maarten Van den Brink (Renault)
05.44h Gerard de Rooy (IVECO)
05.46h Artur Ardavichus (IVECO)

------
06.10h Ton Van Genugten (IVECO)

image 1.jpg

SILK WAY RALLY 2017: IVECO on podium again with Dutchman Ton Van Genugten and his Trakker Evolution

IVECO Trucks Press Release  /  July 11, 2017

Ton Van Genugten crossed the line in 3rd position on his IVECO Trakker in the third stage, from Ufa to Kostanay, achieving a placement in the top five of the partial general classification.

Gerard De Rooy, Dakar winner in 2012 and 2016, closed this stage in 8th position ahead of Kazakh teammate Artur Ardavichus, who crossed the finish line ninth – both on their IVECO Powerstar trucks.

The third stage of Silk Way Rally 2017 took the competitors across the border into Kazakhstan after a “special” of about 330 km and a total distance of 876,39 km. The three IVECO trucks completed the last of the three stages hosted in Russian territory in the top ten of the overall ranking. Once again, Ton Van Genugten was the man of the day as he finished just 3m39s behind the first. He drove carefully without taking risks and this tactic paid off: after the slippery tracks of the first two stages and the amazing passages of across the river, the experienced Dutchman is now in fifth place in the truck category overall ranking.

Gerard De Rooy, behind the wheel of his completely renovated IVECO Powerstar, finished the third stage in 8th position: “I enjoyed very much today’s stage from Ufa to Kostanay, even though we had to drive carefully and not as fast as we would have wanted” – said the Team leader.

The third teammate, Artur Ardavichus on board his IVECO Powerstar #310, finished the stage in 3h50m57s, placing the truck in the top ten (in 9th position). For the Kazakh pilot, the new entry in Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO, this was the first stage run in his country of origin.

Today, Tuesday 11th, Team PETRONAS de Rooy IVECO will be engaged in the fourth leg, which will take them from Kostanay to Astana. This will be the first stage of the rally raid with two selective sections.
The first part starts on a rather fast soil track and becomes increasingly difficult as it runs on the banks of a big river and finishes in Kazakh farmland. The second part, also in farmland, is fast. Competitors will then drive 342 km of road sections to reach the capital of Kazakhstan.

Stage 3 results – Silk Way Rally 2017

1. Siarhei Viazovich (Maz) 3h33m14s
2. Martin Kolomy (Tatra) +0m55s
3. Ton Van Genugten (IVECO) +3m39s
4. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) +4m34s
5. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) +5m27s
------
8. Gerard De Rooy (IVECO) +17m07s
9. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) +17m43s

1. Martin Kolomy (Tatra) 6h45m07s
2. Anton Shibalov (Kamaz) +2m40s
3. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) +5m13s
4. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) +8m21s
5. Ton Van Genugten (IVECO) +10m41s
6. Gerard De Rooy (IVECO) +10m47s
7. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) +12m41s

Starting order for SS4 – 11th July
-----
07.16h Siarhei Viazovich (Maz)
07.22h Martin Kolomy (Tatra)
07.24h Ton Van Genugten (IVECO)
------
07.42 Gerard De Rooy (IVECO)
07.43 Artur Ardavichus (IVECO)

image 1.jpg

SILK WAY RALLY 2017: IVECO in the top five of the 6th leg with Kazakh pilot Artur Ardavichus

IVECO Trucks Press Release  /  July 14, 2017

Artur Ardavichus crossed the finish line of the 6th stage, from Semey to Urdzhar, in 5th position with his IVECO Powerstar. He is well-motivated to remain in the top five of the overall ranking of the Silk Way Rally.

Gerard De Rooy and Ton Van Genugten finished the stage in 8th and 11th position respectively.

The newest member of Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO, Kazakh driver Artur Ardavichus was the protagonist of yesterday’s stage, which took the competitors from Semey to Urdzhar: 387 km of an amazing and fast track made of 60% soil and 40% gravel.

Starting at 9.40h behind teammates Gerard De Rooy and Ton Van Genugten, Artur Ardavichus, Serge Bruynkens and Michel Huisman, placed their IVECO Powerstar #310 truck in the fifth position in the day’s classification, crossing the line 5m55s behind the first. With this result, at the close of Stage 6 the Kazakh pilot was fifth in the partial general classification. His steady driving is bringing excellent results to Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO.

Team leader De Rooy placed his renovated IVECO Powerstar in 8th position, finishing the race in 4h04m47s – 26m09s behind the first.
Crossing the line 58m46s behind the winner, Van Genugten, placed his #306 Trakker Evolution in eleventh position, improving his final ranking to 9th.

Today, July 14th, competitors will run the fourth and last special in Kazakhstan before crossing the Chinese border. This magnificent 106km SS will be pure driving pleasure. The vegetation will be dense and the landscape hilly. The finish of the stage “In the land of black gold” will be close to the border, before a 250 km liason to the bivouac in Karamay, famous for its oil refineries.

Stage 6 results – Silk Way Rally 2017

1. Eduard Nikolaev (Kamaz) 3h38m38s
2. Martin Kolomy (Tatra) +0m39s
3. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) +5m13s
4. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) +5m51s
5. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) +5m55s
------
8. Gerard De Rooy (IVECO) +26m09s
11. Ton Van Genugten (IVECO) 58m46s

1. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) 19h09m17s
2. Anton Shibalov (Kamaz) +2m12s
3. Martin Kolomy (Tatra) +12m53s
4. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) +24m01s
5. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) +56m45s
-----
9. Ton Van Genugten (IVECO) +5h05m25s
15. Gerard De Rooy (IVECO) +108h07m35s

Starting order for SS7 – 14th July 2017

07.35 Eduard Nikolaev (Kamaz)
07.37 Martin Kolomy (Tatra)
----
07.47 Artur Ardavichus (IVECO)
08.06 Gerard De Rooy (IVECO)
08.11 Ton Van Genugten (IVECO)

image 1.jpg

SILK WAY RALLY 2017: a hard second stage in Chinese territory for Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO

IVECO Trucks Press Release  /  July 14, 2017

It was a long stage today for Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO: 813.89 km from Urumqi to Hami with a special distance of 421 km in the dunes, then on stony, broken ground.

Kazakh pilot Artur Ardavichus achieved again the best result for the team, finishing the stage in seventh place with his IVECO Powerstar.

After a well-deserved rest day in Urumqi, Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO was back on board today. This morning Artur Ardavichus left the bivouac at 7.36 ahead his teammates and drove carefully behind the wheel of his IVECO Powerstar, finishing Stage 9 from Urumqi to Hami in a good position. “Today it was a very hard day – confirmed the pilot – The stage was really tough, with dunes and gravel: to make it to the end it was necessary to drive not too fast but not even too slow. I think otherwise not all the trucks would have arrived at the end of the stage.” The newest driver of the team is still firmly in the 5th place of the overall ranking.

Team leader Gerard De Rooy finished 10th in the special stage: “Unfortunately after two kilometres in the SS we blew a shock absorber, but we tried to go on anyway. In the dunes we were forced to stop to change a tyre and we lost a lot of time because the sand was so soft that it made it very difficult. Tomorrow we will try to make good time on the way to the next dunes.” De Rooy’s #302 Powerstar is now in 14th place of the partial general classification.

Today was a very hard stage for the third member of Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO too: on board his Trakker, Dutchman Ton Van Genugten – with Marco Alcayna Ferran and Bernard den Kinderen – finished in twelfth position and maintained his eight place in the general. Today he drove carefully and lost time to help De Rooy change the tyre.

Tomorrow, July 18th, the start of the third special in China will be very fast, then the track will become more technical and slower with many changes of direction. In “the 492 chapels of Mogao” there will be some very nice fast sections in a big wadi with magnificent landscapes. Throughout the last part of the stage, the track runs along a dried lake and is not always clearly marked, so it is easy to loose if headings are not strictly followed. The stage is 517.53 km long, of which 360.28 km of the special.

Stage 7 and Stage 8 sum-up

Today’s challenging stage follows the successful performances of the first week. On July 14th, Artur Ardavichus achieved Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO’s best result in stage 7 from Urdzhar to Karamay, finishing in 9th position and in the top five of the general ranking. Dutch teammates Gerard De Rooy and Ton Van Genugten drove carefully and arrived tenth and eleventh.
The 8th leg from Karamay to Urumqi (July 15th), on the eve of the rest day, was a tough challenge that Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO tackled with success, with two IVECO trucks finishing in the top ten of the partial classification. Artur Ardavichus and Ton Van Genugten finished in seventh and tenth position and Team leader De Rooy finished Saturday’s stage in 14th position (due to 7h penalty assigned), maintaining his ranking in the overall classification.

Stage 9 results – Silk Way Rally 2017

1. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) 4h19m50s
2. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) +0m36s
3. Anton Shibalov (Kamaz) +5m09s
4. Eduard Nikolaev (Kamaz) +9m25s
5. Martin Kolomy (Tatra) +11m40s
------
7. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) +25m47s
10. Gerard De Rooy (IVECO) +58m22s
12. Ton Van Genugten (IVECO) +1h16m11s

1. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) 27h50m00s
2. Anton Shibalov (Kamaz) +14m27s
3. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) +26m30s
4. Martin Kolomy (Tatra) +31m30s
5. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) +1h43m59s
-----
8. Ton Van Genugten (IVECO) +7h52m23s
14. Gerard De Rooy (IVECO) +214h56m39s

image 1.jpg

SILK WAY RALLY 2017: two IVECO trucks again in the top ten of overall ranking after 10th Leg

IVECO Trucks Press Release  /  July 19, 2017

Artur Ardavichus, the Kazakh driver on board the Powerstar #310, finished the daily stage in sixth place and remains fifth in the overall.

Dutch pilots Ton Van Genugten and Gerard De Rooy crosssed the finish line of this third Chinese stage in 8th and 9th place respectively. Van Genugten is firmly in 8th position of the partial general ranking, while Team leader De Rooy is 16th.

The third stage of 2017 Silk Way Rally hosted in Chinese territory started from Hami and reached Dunhuang after crossing a big wadi with magnificent landscapes: about 320 km of special stage (total distance 517.53 km), very fast at the start and then more technical and slower with many changes of direction.

Ardavichus was again at the daily start line ahead his teammates. He finished this SS with a time of 3h43m58s, just 8m37s behind the first. Thanks to his careful driving, the Kazakh was again in 5th position of the overall ranking after ten hard stages. He really could be the man of this edition of the famous rally raid for Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO, beside Russia, Kazakhstan and China.

This stage of the Silk Way Rally was more difficult for the other two members of the team: De Rooy, who started just behind Ardavichus, was slowed down by some mechanical issues and lost about half an hour. “The special was very nice with some amazing passages and the truck felt good even if not in optimum conditions. We are waiting for the special and the dunes of tomorrow” – said Gerard who placed 9th in the daily ranking.

The third man of PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO Team, Ton Van Genugten, now in 8th position of the partial overall, drove faster in the second part of the leg to recover the time lost to help De Rooy when he got in trouble 30 km before the finish. Behind the wheel of his IVECO Trakker #306, he arrived 8th in the stage at Hami-Dunhuang. The general classification after leg 10 sees him in 8th position.

Today, July 19th, as the first special was due to be run in a region that has very recently declared a nature reserve by the Chinese authorities, the organisers of the Silk Way Rally have decided to cancel ES11A while maintaining the second timed special (ES11B) of the 11th stage. Held in wide sand river and between the canyons, it will be very fast at the end.

Stage 10 results – Silk Way Rally 2017

1. Eduard Nikolaev (Kamaz) 3h35m21s
2. Martin Kolomy (Tatra) +1m29s
3. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) +2m29s
4. Anton Shibalov (Kamaz) +3m14s
5. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) +5m47s
6. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) +8m37s
----
8. Ton Van Genugten (IVECO) +29m27s
9. Gerard De Rooy (IVECO) +29m46s

1. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) 31h27m50s
2. Anton Shibalov (Kamaz) +15m12s
3. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) +29m48s
4. Martin Kolomy (Tatra) +30m30s
5. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) +1h50m07s
-----
8. Ton Van Genugten (IVECO) +8h19m21s
16. Gerard De Rooy (IVECO) +215h23m56s

Starting order for SS11 – 19th July 2017

----
08.46 Eduard Nikolaev (Kamaz)
08.52 Martin Kolomy (Tatra)
08.54 Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz)
----
09.02 Artur Ardavichus (IVECO)
09.08 Ton Van Genugten (IVECO)
09.09 Gerard De Rooy (IVECO)

image 1.jpg

SILK WAY RALLY 2017: Gerard de Rooy achieves best result of the team in the 11th Stage

IVECO Trucks Press Release  /  July 20, 2017

Team Leader Gerard De Rooy finishes Stage 11 in 7th position, ahead of his teammates.

Spanish co-pilot Marco Ferran Alcayna moved from Van Genugten’s Trakker to Ardavichus’ Powerstar to replace injured Serge Bruynens. Bart De Gooyert is Van Genugten’s new co-pilot.

The 11th stage of the 2017 Silk Way Rally between Dunhuang and Jiayuguan, situated at the western end of the Great Wall, was the eve of the two stages considered to be the most enjoyable but also the toughest of the rally.

Yesterday morning Gerard De Rooy started at 9.09 after his teammates, and crossed the line on his IVECO Powerstar #302 in 2h35m13s, just 5m45s from the winner. “Our truck is finally really good, we had a clean stage without stops and problems – explained Moises “Moi” Torrallardona, Gerard’s experienced co-driver – We drove sometimes faster and at times slowly, the track was soft at the start and harder at the end but we enjoyed it very much. Now we are waiting for the big dunes of tomorrow: Gerard is one of the best drivers on sand and the truck is ok.” In spite of the good result, Team leader De Rooy lies in 14th position of the overall.

There was an important change in the crew of Powerstar #310 driven by Artur Ardavichus: due to a stressed nerve incurred on a violent impact during a special stage, Belgian co-driver Serge Bruynkens had to retire from the rally. Marco Ferran Alcayna, Ton Van Genugten’s co-pilot, has replaced him and will continue as Ardavichus’s co-driver until the end of the rally. Dutchman Bart De Gooyert will join Ton Van Genugten and expert crewmate Bernard Der Kinderen crew on board the IVECO Trakker #306.

Today the stage was really technical like yesterday, fast and bumpy. I’m sorry for the physical problem that forced Serge to retire from the race before the end but, unfortunately, it’s part of the game” explained the Kazakh pilot. Ardavichus finished the 11th stage in eighth position just 14s behind De Rooy. He maintains his 5th place in the general ranking with a good advantage of more than half of an hour on Kamaz pilot Eduard Nikolaev.

Ton Van Genugten drove his IVECO Trakker slowly in the first part of the stage to test his new crew, then picked up speed. “We quickly developed a good feeling with Bart, mechanic and co-driver, and this allowed us to make our race in the best way.” He crossed the finish line in 2h44m04s.

Today, July 20th, will take place one of the two toughest stages – from Jiayuguan to Alashan – with beautiful dunes at the beginning and more at the end. Navigation will play the lead role in this stage where all types of terrain will be represented. Pilots will need to call on their best driving abilities. Stage length: 483.79 km of which 254.75 km of special.

Stage 11 results – Silk Way Rally 2017

1. Martin Kolomy (Tatra) 2h29m28s
2. Anton Shibalov (Kamaz) +0m49s
3. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) +1m07s
4. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) +3m18s
5. Eduard Nikolaev (Kamaz) +3m40s
-----
7. Gerard De Rooy (IVECO) +5m45s
8. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) +5m59s
10. Ton Van Genugten (IVECO) +15m12s

1. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) 33h58m25s
2. Anton Shibalov (Kamaz) +14m54s
3. Martin Kolomy (Tatra) +29m23s
4. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) +31m59s
5. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) + 1h54m59s
-----
9. Ton Van Genugten (IVECO) +8h33m26s
14. Gerard De Rooy (IVECO) + 215h28m34s

Starting order for SS12 – 20th July 2017

----
07.42 Martin Kolomy (Tatra)
07.44 Anton Shibalov (Kamaz)
----
08.02 Gerard De Rooy (IVECO)
08.04 Artur Ardavichus (IVECO)
08.09 Ton Van Genugten (IVECO)

image 1.jpg

SILK WAY RALLY 2017: All drivers of Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO in the top ten of Stage 12

IVECO Trucks Press Release  /  July 21, 2017

Team Leader Gerard De Rooy, on his Powerstar Evo 2, crossed the finish line in this difficult stage in 4th position, ahead of his teammates.

Artur Ardavichus finished in 7th place on his Powerstar, improving his overall ranking to 4th place two stages from the end of the Silk Way Rally.

Ton Van Genugten and new co-pilot Bart De Gooyert arrived 8th, placing the third IVECO truck in the top ten of the day.

For Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO yesterday’s stage, from the bivouac in Jiayugan to Alashan Youqi, finished with very good results. Team leader Gerard De Rooy did particularly well, crossing the finish line with a time of 4h14m33s. The new completely renovated Powerstar arrived fourth in the day’s stage: “We lost time because of a problem with a tyre, otherwise we could have made an even better time – said Gerard – We enjoyed very much driving in the dunes: the cloudy weather and milder temperature helped us”.

Artur Ardavichus, behind the wheel of the other IVECO Powerstar, drove carefully avoiding risks in order to maintain or improve his place in the overall. Marco Alcayna Ferran, in his second stage as co-pilot (he replaced injured Belgian Serge Bruynkens) explained: “Today we faced beautiful dunes. I will say it was one of the most difficult legs since the beginning of the rally. The truck has a lot of power and this was really important to cross the long kilometers of sand.” Thanks to the result obtained yesterday after leg 12, the Kazakh pilot is in the 4th position of the general with an advantage of more than 12 minutes ahead of Nikolaev’s Kamaz.

Dutchman Ton Van Genugten (#306) also completed the SS12 in the top ten of the partial classification, crossing the finish line in 8th place. Now in his second day with new co-driver Bart De Gooyert, he drove faster and he was also able to improve the overall position: behind the wheel of his IVECO Trakker, he is now in 7th place.

Thanks to the team’s mechanical experts – John Peeters, Niels van Tilborg, Ramon Peters, Franklin Geerts, Paul Starmans, Peter van Rooij, Corne van Drunen, Clim Smulders, Koen Hendriks and Pjotr Hylla – Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO was able to resolve all unforeseen events occurred in the particularly tough stages of the Silk Way Rally.

Today, July 21st, competitors left early to face magnificent landscapes and especially to cross cathedrals of dunes in the first special stage. The show promises to be really great. The second SS also includes a lot of navigation with some small but very technical sections of dunes. It is a pure pleasure to surf in this sand especially on the ridges and this should allow the most adventurous to save a lot of time. This leg will probably add some pages to the history of the Silk Way Rally. Total distance: 690.31 km of which 318.66.

Stage 12 results – Silk Way Rally 2017

1. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) 4h04m08s
2. Anton Shibalov (Kamaz) +2m15s
3. Eduard Nikolaev (Kamaz) +3m01s
4. Gerard De Rooy (IVECO) +10m25s
5. Siarhei Viazovich (Maz) +13m33s
----
7. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) +22m20s
8. Ton Van Genugten (IVECO) +23m13s

1. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) 38h16m38s
2. Anton Shibalov (Kamaz) +3m04s
3. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) +17m54s
4. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) +2h03m14s
5. Eduard Nikolaev (Kamaz) +2h15m53s
----
7. Ton Van Genugten (IVECO) +8h42m34s
13. Gerard De Rooy (IVECO) +215h24m54s

Starting order for SS14 – 21th July 2017

-----
06.33 Airat Mardeev (Kamaz)
06.37 Anton Shibalov (Kamaz)
06.43 Gerard De Rooy (IVECO)
-----
06.57 Artur Ardavichus (IVECO)
06.59 Ton Van Genugten (IVECO)

image 1.jpg

SILK WAY RALLY 2017: Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO finishes rally with a 4th place for Artur Ardavichus

IVECO Trucks Press Release  /  July 22, 2017

Artur Ardavichus finished the 13th leg from Alashan Youqi to Zhongwei on his #310 IVECO Powerstar in 6th position, conquering the 4th place in the Silk Way Rally overall.

Dutchmen Ton Van Genugten and Gerard De Rooy crossed the finish line with their IVECO trucks in 8th and 12th place of the partial classification of SS13.

Today, 22 July podium finish in Xi’An, the scheduled special stage having been canceled due to bad weather.

Yesterday was the last leg of the 2017 Silk Way Rally, which took the competitors from Alashan Youqi to Zhongwei. The 100 km special stage scheduled for today, 22 July, has been canceled due to bad weather and the rally caravan will reach Xi’An with a simple transfer, so the results for this edition of Silk Way Rally are in.

Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO started early this morning with Gerard De Rooy at the start line at 6.43 on board his Powerstar #302. “It was a nice stage today but not for me: we lost half an hour and we stopped 3 or 4 times. We drove better in the second special stage even if we had some problems to the steering box. For us the Silk Way Rally has been an important test to get the feel of the new truck in preparation for the Dakar rally”. The team leader crossed the finish line with a time of 3h01m00s in 12th position, achieving the sixteenth place in the overall.

Kazakh pilot Artur Ardavichus was the second member of the team to start from the Alashan Youqi bivouac: the newest driver of Team PETRONAS De Rooy IVECO took his #310 IVECO Powerstar to the finish line in 6h06m13s, 37m13s behind the winner. “It was a very hard stage, and I didn’t like it very much: I really prefer surfing big dunes rather than driving up and down little ones. We drove all day in 5th and 6th gear, and never got higher gears. There was no speed, only up and down.” Ardavichus finished his first Silk Way Rally fourth of the general overall, ahead of Siarhei Viazovich’s Maz.

It was a good result for Ton Van Genugten too: he crossed the finish line of this stage in eighth position, ahead of Teruhito Suguwara, completing the daily track in 6h25m36s. “In the first part of the special there were many dunes: the rain made them harder because of the heavy sand. We needed to stop sometimes at the top of the dunes to see the best way to go on. The second SS we drove faster.” The Dutch pilot was in sixth place of the overall.

Today 22 July the Silk Way Rally will reach Xi’An. The two-week marathon will end in the ancient capital of thirteen Chinese emperor dynasties after more than 9,500 km of marathon distance.

Stage 13 results – Silk Way Rally 2017

1. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) 5h29m00s
2. Anton Shibalov (Kamaz) +3m00s
3. Airat Mardeev (Kamaz) +5m18s
4. Siarhei Viazovich (Maz) +31m39s
5. Alexsandr Vasilevski (Maz) +33m58s
6. Artur Ardavichus (IVECO) +37m13s
-----
8. Ton Van Genugten (IVECO) +56m36s
12. Gerard De Rooy (IVECO) +3h01m00s

1. Dmitry Sotnikov (Kamaz) 43h45m38s