Navistar to upgrade MRAP vehicles for UAE

kscarbel2

UPI  /  March 1, 2017

Navistar Defense received a $440 million contract from the U.S. Army to reset and upgrade 1,085 mine-resistant armored vehicles for the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

The company will perform services on MaxxPro Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles, or MRAPs, in addition to delivering specified sets, kits, packages and technical publications to the country.

The contract was procured under the U.S. foreign military sales program. Work will be performed in West Point, Mo., and is expected to be finished by the end of March 2019.

Navistar received $46 million at the time of the contract award. The U.S. Army Contracting Command is the contracting activity.

The MaxxPro MRAP is designed to protect operators from blasts caused by improvised explosive devices, or IEDs, and other ground-level threats. Navistar says the vehicle's V-shaped hull provides improved survivability, and is designed to deflect IED blasts away from the vehicle.

In addition to IED attacks, the vehicle is also designed to withstand ballistic arms fire and mine blasts.

image 1.jpg

UAE to get 1,085 refurbished MaxxPro MRAPs

IHS Jane's Defence Weekly  /  March 1, 2017

The US Department of Defense announced on 28 February that it has awarded a USD440 million contract to Navistar Defense to "reset and upgrade" 1,085 surplus MaxxPro mine-resistant ambush protected vehicles (MRAPs) for the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

The work is expected to be completed by 31 March 2019.

The US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) announced in September 2014 that the UAE had requested 3,360 [free] MaxxPro MRAPs in various configurations, 1,150 BAE Systems Caiman MRAPs, 44 Oshkosh MRAP All-Terrain Vehicles (M-ATVs), and 15 MRAP recovery vehicles of an unspecified type.

The DSCA's Excess Defense Articles database states that 488 Caimans, 29 MaxxPros, and 15 MRAP recovery vehicles were subsequently delivered.