First truck/Vision tare question

Keystoner

Question

I am looking into buying my first truck and having a hard time finding information on weights of trucks in different configurations. One forum I came across was saying that the Mack Vision was one of the lightest trucks around. Is there a way you can spec out a daycab under 14,000?

I've been looking for a truck to pair with this 10,000 lbs trailer in order to haul 30 tons with overweight permit.

Funny side note while typing this on my tablet it auto corrected daycab to Satan several times before allowing me to leave it.

2 answers to this question

I weighed one of the Postal Service CH tandem conventionals and it was around 16,000 pounds, but that was a very stripped model with no sleeper and only a single fuel tank. It was a 1998 model, so it didn't have the hundreds of ponds of emissions hardware of the current models. The Granite also comes with a heavier frame than the CH or CX model, so if you're serious about speccing a lightweight you might want to look at a CH or CX instead. But getting down under 14,000 pounds with a new truck is just about impossible- IIRC Tyson specced some Navistar Prostars with a small sleeper and the MAN 13 liter engine and super singles on aluminum wheels and only got it down to 17,000 pounds with a hundred gallons of fuel and a driver.  Thus I suspect the only way you'll get under 16,000 pounds ready to hit the road would be to go to extreme measures like a non driving pusher or tag axles, aluminum parts where ever possible, etc.. To get below that you'd have to build a tractor up from a glider, and even then the current cabs are a lot heavier than the older models.

I appreciate the information. I've been looking at mostly pre emissions trucks 2000-2008 models. Drove a freightliner Columbia '06 with a small sleeper all steel 24.5s dual 100 gal fuel tanks about half full went over the scale at 16,200 with me in it the other day.

Edited by Keystoner
First for typos second to add year model