Mack Adds Automated Manual Transmissions for Vocational Use

kscarbel2

Heavy Duty Trucking  /  March 2, 2016

Mack Trucks released 13- and 14-speed versions of its Mack mDrive HD automated manual transmission to meet a wider range of customer applications, the company announced at the NTEA Work Truck Show.

Available in direct or overdrive configurations, the mDrive HD 13-speed offers a low reduction gear ratio designed for easier starting on steep grades or when the truck is under heavy load.

The mDrive HD 14-speed, available only in an overdrive configuration, adds a second ultra-low-speed reduction gear designed for curb pouring applications or low-speed, heavy-haul maneuvering. Both transmissions offer up to four reverse gear ratios.

“We launched the original mDrive HD in response to customers looking for an AMT capable of withstanding tough vocational applications,” said John Walsh, Mack vice president of marketing. “Now, with the mDrive HD 13- and 14-speeds, we’re taking the next step and combining low-speed capabilities with the performance and productivity benefits of our ground-breaking AMT.”

The new mDrive HD transmissions share architecture with the standard mDrive HD, including reinforced internal components and the same gear ratios for the 12 forward speeds.

The addition of the low reduction and multispeed reverse gears is made possible by a short extension added to the front of the transmission case. The new mDrive HD models are less than five inches longer and 90 pounds heavier than the standard mDrive HD.

Customers will also now have the option to spec the mDrive HD in Mack Pinnacle models, including the two new transmission options. In addition to off-road, heavy-haul and construction applications, the new transmissions’ use of a faster rear axle ratio can improve on-road fuel economy while maintaining startability.

“The mDrive HD is just as at home on the highway as it is on the job site,” said Stu Russoli, Mack highway and powertrain products marketing manager. “Highway customers with challenging loads will appreciate the extra flexibility provided by the low reduction gear ratios.”

All Mack mDrive transmissions, including the standard mDrive and mDrive HD, also received numerous updates for improved performance and durability. The transmissions are controlled by a redesigned gearbox control unit, while a new clutch with a larger torsional damper helps reduce driveline vibration. Component wear monitors were also added to enable predictive maintenance.

The mDrive updates also included several improvements to power take-off controls, including new main cab harnesses for all mDrive models, a reinforced range housing to handle higher PTO bending torque and an all-new cab-mounted Body Builder Module. The Body Builder Module is customizable, with user-configured software parameters to control engine speed and block reverse gears when the PTO is engaged. In addition, dual PTOs are now supported.

The Mack mDrive HD 13- and 14-speed AMTs will be available for order in August on Mack Pinnacle, Granite and Titan by Mack models.

Mack expands heavy-duty AMT Range with mDRIVE models

Fleet Owner  /  March 4, 2016

Mack Trucks announced two new versions of its mDRIVE HD automated manual transmission (AMT). Mack made the announcement at the Work Truck Show in Indianapolis.

“As the first truck manufacturer in North America to offer low reduction gear ratios in a proprietary automated manual transmission, Mack’s mDRIVE HD 13-speed and mDRIVE HD 14-speed meet the needs of an even wider range of customer applications with the power and performance that only a fully integrated powertrain can offer,” the company said.

Available in direct or overdrive configurations, the new Mack mDRIVE HD 13-speed offers a low reduction gear ratio designed for easier starting on steep grades or when the truck is under heavy load, according to Mack. The mDRIVE HD 14-speed, available only in an overdrive configuration, adds a second ultra-low-speed reduction gear designed for curb pouring applications or low-speed, heavy-haul maneuvering. Both transmissions offer up to four reverse gear ratios.

“We launched the original mDRIVE HD in response to customers looking for an AMT capable of withstanding tough vocational applications,” said John Walsh, vice president of marketing. “Now, with the mDRIVE HD 13- and 14-speeds, we’re taking the next step and combining low-speed capabilities with the performance and productivity benefits of our ground-breaking AMT.”

The new Mack mDRIVE HD models share their architecture with the standard mDRIVE HD, including reinforced internal components and the same gear ratios for the 12 forward speeds. The addition of the low reduction and multispeed reverse gears is made possible by a short extension added to the front of the transmission case. Despite the additional capabilities, the new mDRIVE HD models are less than five inches longer and only 90 lbs. heavier than the standard mDRIVE HD, maintaining a weight advantage of nearly 150 lbs. compared with automatic transmissions.

According to the company, for the first time, customers will also now have the option to spec the mDRIVE HD in Mack Pinnacle models, including the new mDRIVE 13- and 14-speed models.

“The mDRIVE HD is just as at home on the highway as it is on the job site,” said Stu Russoli, highway and powertrain products marketing manager. “Highway customers with challenging loads will appreciate the extra flexibility provided by the low reduction gear ratios.”

In addition to the two new models, all Mack mDRIVE transmissions, including the standard mDRIVE and mDRIVE HD, also received numerous updates for improved performance and durability. The transmissions are controlled by a redesigned gearbox control unit, while a new clutch with a larger torsional damper helps reduce driveline vibration. Component wear monitors were also added to enable predictive maintenance.

Demonstrating confidence in the durability of its AMTs, Mack also extended warranty coverage on all mDRIVE transmissions and clutches used in heavy- or severe-duty applications. Warranty coverage now extends to 36 months with unlimited miles for heavy-duty applications for both the mDRIVE and mDRIVE HD. For severe-duty applications, warranty coverage is extended to 12 months and unlimited miles for the mDRIVE, and 24 months, unlimited miles for the mDRIVE HD.

The mDRIVE updates also included several improvements to power take-off (PTO) controls, including new main cab harnesses for all mDRIVE models, a reinforced range housing to handle higher PTO bending torque and an all-new cab-mounted Body Builder Module. The Body Builder Module is customizable, with user-configured software parameters to control engine speed and block reverse gears when the PTO is engaged. In addition, dual PTOs are now supported.

“PTOs are a critical component for many vocational customers,” said Curtis Dorwart, vocational products marketing manager. “With the added functionality delivered by the new Body Builder Module and other improvements, we’re giving customers the tools they need to be successful in nearly any application.”

(The Mack-badged mDrive HD automated manual transmission is known globally as the “Volvo I-Shift with crawler gears”.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New I-Shift with crawler gears can start off from standstill with 325 tonnes

Volvo Group Press Release  /  March 15, 2016

Volvo Trucks is launching a new member of the I-Shift family: I-Shift with crawler gears. The new gears, which are added to the automated transmission, provide exceptional startability for trucks carrying heavy loads in demanding situations. The system is entirely unique for series-produced heavy trucks.

Volvo Trucks' new version of I-Shift makes it possible to add up to two new crawler gears. This means, among other things, that the truck can move off from standstill and transport a gross combination weight (GCW) of up to 325 tonnes.

"I-Shift with crawler gears offers an entirely new scope for heavy trucks with automated transmission to regulate their speed when crawling slowly and reversing. The driver can haul a heavy load without worrying about getting into situations that may lead to costly standstills," says Peter Hardin, Product Manager FM and FMX, Volvo Trucks. 

With the new crawler gears, the truck can drive at speeds as low as 0.5-2 km/h. This helps immensely during precision manoeuvres such as in construction and maintenance tasks. 

"The vastly improved driveability and startability with the new crawler gears makes the driver's job far easier when operating in difficult terrain on slippery surfaces with heavy loads, such as at construction sites, in mines or in forests. The heavier the transport operation and the poorer the surface or the terrain, the more the driver gains from a truck with crawler gears," explains Peter Hardin.

For haulage firms carrying out heavy transport operations on demanding surfaces as well as regular highway driving, crawler gears also offer considerable flexibility and the possibility of improved fuel economy.

"I-Shift with crawler gears makes it possible to start off from standstill in extreme situations. Combining them with a suitable rear axle ratio that optimises engine revs at high speeds results in lower fuel consumption on the highway. This is a significant benefit to haulage firms doing this kind of work," says Peter Hardin.

Depending on application area, I-Shift is available with one or two forward crawler gears, and with or without two reverse crawler gears. Reverse crawler gears make it possible to reverse extremely slowly, which is a major advantage when reversing manoeuvres require immense precision.

Facts, I-Shift with crawler gears

- I-Shift with crawler gears is a further development of Volvo Trucks' I-Shift automated transmission.
- The new version of I-Shift has been specially developed for excellent startability and for driving at particularly low speeds.
- I-Shift with crawler gears can allow driving as slowly as 0.5-2 km/h and can handle starts from standstill with a gross combination weight of up to 325 tonnes, which is unique for series-produced trucks with automated gearboxes.
- The transmission is available as either a direct-drive or overdrive gearbox with one or two crawler ratios. It is also possible to specify two extra reverse crawler gears.
- The crawler gears are integrated into the I-Shift transmission. In order to handle the high loads involved, several components are made of high-strength materials. The gearbox is 12 cm longer than a conventional I-Shift unit.
- I-Shift with crawler gears is available for Volvo Trucks' 13- and 16-litre engines in the Volvo FM, Volvo FMX, Volvo FH and Volvo FH16.

Ratios, I-Shift with crawler gears
- In a gearbox with one crawler gear the ratio is 19:1 in a direct-drive gearbox, or 17:1 in an overdrive gearbox. (The ratio of the lowest gear in a regular I-Shift direct-drive gearbox is 15:1.) In a direct-drive or an overdrive gearbox with two crawler gears the lowest ratio is 32:1.
- The ratio of the lowest reverse gear is 37:1 in a direct-drive gearbox.

Links
See the film on Volvo Trucks YouTube channel (link) 
See the animation on Volvo Trucks YouTube channel (link)
Download the images at Volvo Trucks image gallery (link)

• 1 month later...

Mack makes mDrive HD 13-speed standard on Granite models

Truck News  /  May 9, 2016

Mack Trucks announced today it that its mDrive HD 13-speed automated manual transmission (AMT) will be standard on Mack Granite models.

The AMT features a low ratio creeper gear and helps boost customer productivity thanks to improved performance and reduced weight, Mack says.  The mDrive HD 13-speed (aka. Volvo I-Shift with crawler gears) is also available on the Mack Pinnacle and Titan by Mack models.  

“Making the mDrive HD 13-speed standard on the Granite is a natural evolution of our industry leadership,” said Dennis Slagle, president of Mack Trucks. “Since its introduction, the mDrive has become incredibly popular – starting first with highway and more recently with many heavy-duty vocational applications. The introduction of the 13- and 14-speed gears expands the range and performance in vocational applications so much so that it is only natural for it to become our standard offering in the Granite model.”

The AMT is available in both  direct or overdrive configurations and offers a low reduction creeper gear ratio designed for easier startability on steep grades or when the truck is carrying a heavy load. This improved startability also allows customers to select a faster rear axle ratio. The faster ratio decreases engine rpm at highway speeds, saving fuel as the truck travels between job sites. It is also monitored by Mack GuardDog Connect.

In March, Mack also announced the availability of the mDrive HD 14-speed.

“Response to the mDrive and mDrive HD has been tremendous,” said Roy Horton, director of product strategy. “Currently, mDrive penetration for Pinnacle axle back and axle forward models is at approximately 80% and 60%, respectively, while mDrive HD penetration for Granite models is about 20% and growing. The penetration level of mDrive in all our models has continued to increase since its introduction.”

The Mack Granite model is available in axle forward or axle back configurations.

The Mack mDrive HD 13- and 14-speed AMTs are scheduled to go into full production in October.

Volvo Group Press Release - http://www.volvogroup.com/group/global/en-gb/volvo%20group/worldwide/volvo-group-north-america/_layouts/CWP.Internet.VolvoCom/NewsItem.aspx?News.ItemId=151864&News.Language=en-gb