Aluminum Fuel Tank Sludge:

I pulled the tanks off of the "new" RL to get them clean internally. There is so much algae and other growth/slime in them the I plan to steam clean them as best I can before going after them with chemicals. I bought a 90 degree spray tip for my 2000psi steam cleaner, so I should have the power and heat needed but what type of soap, or solvent would be recommended for the areas I can't reach?

I was surprised how light these 80 gallon tanks actually were. I can carry them both at the same time.

Momma laughed at me cause I had a tank in each hand, and was carrying a two litre bottle of Coke in my teeth. Said the tank in the middle was the dirty one! Of course this was the opportune time to reveal that I caught her snarfing down over 1/2 of my mother in laws double dutch chocolate cake when she only left me a small piece; about 1/8th slice. She wonders why I've lost 29 pounds, and she has gained four!

When Knobby eventually gets back from Siberia, he ain't gonna recognize me!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Purple Stuff, Mean Green, you can find something in your area with a caustic agent. Having the tanks off makes it easy, you can pour about a half gallon in each tank, and roll them around. The last ones that I did were on the truck. After the tanks were clean, the next challenge was getting all the water out. I finally set a Reddy heater up on blocks, aimed it at the tank, and fired it off. It didn't take long and it was bone dry. Of course you could take them inside and set them on the stove. As if you are not in enough trouble already

Purple Stuff, Mean Green, you can find something in your area with a caustic agent. Having the tanks off makes it easy, you can pour about a half gallon in each tank, and roll them around. The last ones that I did were on the truck. After the tanks were clean, the next challenge was getting all the water out. I finally set a Reddy heater up on blocks, aimed it at the tank, and fired it off. It didn't take long and it was bone dry. Of course you could take them inside and set them on the stove. As if you are not in enough trouble already

I'm on the same page as you James with the "Reddy Heater", or "salamander" as they're called here. I've never used caustic soda on aluminum but know if left to dwell it is detrimental to cosmetic appearance from staining.

These tanks have sat for over seven years, and possibly up to nine, and the algae is like tar build up on the interior after draining. I'm going to try to clean them this afternoon, then "tig" the broken part where the exhaust rubbed through on the passenger side at the top, finally sending them to be polished as I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.