New All Wheel Drive System Coming Soon

Well a while back we were discussing what truck technology we wanted to see here in North America. Well one of the things I mentioned was a hydrostatic front driven axle offered by M.A.N. (German truck maker) called Hydrodrive. Well It turns out MAN acquired the clever wheel motor technology from a French hydraulics company called Poclain Hydraulics. Now Poclain is working to bring the same system to North America under the name Addidrive. The system is very interesting as it has a few key features that make it attractive for owners looking for more traction but cant afford the downsides of a true AWD system.

First since it is hydraulic there is no heavy transfercase, driveshaft or driven front axle to maintain. The motor is designed so that it needs no gearing, its a direct drive setup. It also can be adapted to any steering axle by changing the wheel end hardware, the hub is replaced by one that mounts the motor. This means no raised front end, the truck maintains its normal stance. The hydraulic pump is PTO driven so it mouns to any transmission with a standard PTO opening. The wheel motors are powerful they can output upward of 100HP each depending on the model and operate at speeds up to 20MPH. The wheels the system mounts are Euro mount with a 335mm bolt circle, like those found on buses.

I recieved an email from Poclain after I enquired about the system. Here are my questions and Poclains answers:

-Will the steering axle be part of the package or will it be adaptable to vendor axles from Meritor, Dana or Mack for field fitting?

A: We will be using Dana I-beam as standard. No plans to offer as Meritor or Mack at this time.

-How does the pump mount to the transmission? is it a PTO pump or is it dependent of the drive shaft speed?

A: Pump mounts to the PTO.

-What transmissions will it be compatible with?

A: Will work with any type or brand.

-Are the brakes wedge drum or S-cam drum? And who is supplying the foundation brake parts?

A: S-cam brakes or air disc. Bendix brakes.

-Can this system also be used on more then one axle on a truck? For example can an 8x4 be equipped with two hydro axles to become an 8x8? What about a strait non steering axle, can they be hydro powered as well?

A: Yes. Can be used on twin steer application, 6 x 6, 8 x 8 or 10 x 10. Only designed for use on front steerable axles.

-What axle capacities will be offered?

A: Starting at 12K to 20K

-Will it be available from OEM's or will it be an after market fitted system?

A: Both

-how much will such a system cost?

A: Competitive with mechanical system. Pricing is dependant on volumes, etc.

Very interesting and it will weigh over 800 pounds less than a mechanical AWD system. As you can see the system also allows more then one steer axle to be driven. If you look at the Poclain site they are even working on enabling trailer axles and lift axles to be powered for even more traction. If Mack wanted they could customize the system to adapt to Mack axles but who knows of that will ever happen.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!