Things That Go Around Come Around?

Ray

We all know the story of the Yellow Roadway Corporation. We all know how DHL funded Yellow Freight to buy out Roadway, and then USF. We all heard about USF attempting to buy-out YRC. Now it seems that DHL won't be flying domestic air freight in the U.S. DHL has contracted UPS to fly all domestic air freight in the U.S., thus making DHL, UPS' biggest customer.

At a recent general body meeting of the Teamster's local, it was brought out that DHL, may in fact cease all U.S. operations. This would put about 450 people out of work here in Philadelphia and the surrounding area. Then there is a rumor that Yellow may close Roadway. After what, a few years operating, Yellow knows Roadway's area of operations, billing process, dispatching and all the other things that make a trucking company as great as Roadway is. And to think how Roadway consolidated terminals so drivers from area terminals are'nt "tripping over" each other delivering freight to the same customer. Could Roadway fall to the wayside? I hope not.

Could it be that DHL bit off more than it could chew? Is this another sign of european arrogance such as with the Mack/Volvo debacle? DHL owns a bank in Germany and has it hands in the postal system as well. Could the down turn of the economy be at fault?

I remember when I left Overnite Transportation in 1989, I was told Carolina was closing and that there were only going to be 2 or 3 major common carrier trucking companies left hauling LTL freight. Is that time now?

I believe that congressional hearing's will take place due to anti-trust issues.

Things that make you go...........hmmmmm.