Thinking of buying a newer truck, how good is the year 2012?

I want to buy a Mack CHU613 SFA with 380,000 miles for $65,000 asking price. It's bright red, has a mid roof sleeper, wet line, nice interior, great power. 505 hp MP8 with an eaton 18 spd, and 3.73 rears. CLEAN TRUCK. LOOKS BRAND NEW. Still has the remaining balance warrenty. 120,000 miles and/or 1 year. It also has the fancy exhaust cleaners and. Burners, which is where my concerns are. Is this a good truck or is 2012 a bad year?

• Like 1

The Dealer you are buying it from is pretty picky on what used trucks are displayed for sale and which ones are basically for export/wholesale. They detail the heck out of them and send them for paint if needed. Th issues with 2012's are minimal and basically share issues with current production units. I wouldn't be surprised that the unit you are interested came from Northern Ontario and hauled some heavier loads. Up here if you buy a truck with 46 rears it's because it's hauling more then 110,000 gross weight on a regular basis. The 46 rears will drag your fuel mileage down a little. Trucks that have seen more bush then road usually don't look that good. This dealer knows where they bought the truck and asks what work it did before they picked it up. Make sure you ask the questions that make you feel comfortable with the purchase. If I needed it I would buy it.

• Like 1

Usually yes. There are such things as "super 40's" you may see from time to time. It's a 40,000 pd rear banjo (axle) housing with slightly heavier bearings and gears on a 46K rear suspension. Fairly common in Canada for strictly highway use.