B 61 Speedo

in the final stages of purchasing a 1959 b61. The speedo does not work, what would be the best place to start checking for the problem and is this a common issue. If anyone has had this kind of problem any prices would be helpful. Thanks

in the final stages of purchasing a 1959 b61. The speedo does not work, what would be the best place to start checking for the problem and is this a common issue. If anyone has had this kind of problem any prices would be helpful. Thanks

The cable is probably busted in the housing requiring replacement. The age of the truck leads me to this area. They are getting expensive to replace as the electronics are more prevelant now.

Pull the dash panel forward by removing the screws around the perimeter, take the knurled nut for the cable jacket free from the back of the speedometer. I then usually insert a smaller straight slot screwdriver into the square recess the cable end slides into and turn the speedomer gear. Look for deflection on the meter. If no deflection, turn the other way. Grab the square end of the cable protruding from the jacket and pull on it. It should not come out for there is a crimped end on the other end of the cable. If you cannot pull the cable from the jacket; Move the truck under it's own power with the dash loose just a few feet and look for rotation of the cable. I don't think it will move but if it does, the problem is in the speedometer head. If it doesn't move, take the jacket loose the the upper rear of the transmission, and try to spin it by hand. It should move really easy. If it doesn't rotate it is probably twisted and bound up broken in the jacket. You can try to pull the cable from the jacket and sometimes they readily remove, sometimes they don't. It should slip right out of the jacket with little effort.

If the cable does come out be sure to oil it well with speedometer lube, (auto parts stores sell this) before putting it back together. Hopefully that cable is alright. Speedometers are available on ebay quite often and are usually priced less expensively than having an original repaired.

Good luck.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.