Hello To All

linrick1

Hello to all. I have been perusing this fine site for quite a while and have found it to be very interesting and informative. I spent most of the late eighties up in northern Maine hauling logs up on The Golden Road, and into Canada. When the wood market slowed down I drove all sorts of stuff, roll off, front loader, dump trailer, petroleum tanker etc., etc., ad nauseum. Then I said to hell with it, took off to Alaska and let my commercial license expire. I had driven all sorts of different rigging, from a nasty old Diamond Reo with a 6-71 and a thirteen speed to A-cars to Petes to you name it but through it all I had been fortunate enough to run a whole bunch of Superliners, some with the E-9. Well a couple of weeks ago I figured I'd get back into driving and guess what? I'm right back into a sweet '88 RW613 straight job with an E9 500 and a twelve speed, a Prentice 120C log loader hauling hardwood for a firewood processing outfit. Best truck/engine combo ever made IMHO- I had forgotten how good those things pull.....I am also doing all the mechanic work on this rig and I will be pestering you fine folks for all sorts of info/advice related to getting this old girl back into shape. Thanks in advance, Rick

Welcome, my 5 cents worth would be ,has the engine received the  modified breather system to the engine, ie no longer at the rear of the valley cover?

nigel :wacko:  :chili:

Hey Nigel, you've got me stumped on this one. I'm fairly certain that the engine is stone stock so I would imagine that the breather system is as it was from the factory. Could you tell me what I want to look for and what the benefit is for a modified breather setup? Thanks, Rick

Here in Nz it was found that engine oil escaped out through the breather as it was mounted on the rear of the valley cover, especially when climbing our steep mountains etc, a modification was isued by Mack , that blanked off the original outlet and a new rocker cover was fitted with a breather unit on it, a bit like the PCV valve that was on ford cars.

I woundnt say it made the truck go faster though, just slowed the oil down a bit.

Check your steering arm where it mounts to the kingpin, mine broke off when reversing and the crack had been there a while, around the top kingpin bush.

nigel :chili: