Happy Father's Day, Dad....!

1958 F.W.D.

I posted this blog on my myspace. Thought I would share it with everyone.

This weekend was the 29th annual Father's Day Truck Show in Macungie, Pa. sponsored by the Antique Truck Club of America. This is the biggest annual gathering of antique trucks anywhere in America. When I say trucks, I mean TRUCKS. Not pickups.....HEAVY METAL. Antique tractor trailers, dump trucks, tow trucks, every kind of truck you can imagine, and yes, especially FIRE TRUCKS. Macungie is only 20 miles from my house, so needless to say, I take the 1958 FWD out to the show. Gas is expensive, yes, but Macungie is too close not to go; and besides, the last 4 years I have gone, I have been the ONLY FWD truck there!!!!!!!

Many trucks, all makes, models and sizes park among the grassy knolls of Macungie Memorial Park. Last year, there were 550+/- trucks. This year, I think the number was probabably 450 to 500. Fuel prices being what they are, I am sure some stayed away, but in an antique truck forum that I frequent (free plug for www.bigmacktrucks.com) many owners stated that "Macungie is the one show that we definetly go to, come hell or high water."

Among the trucks displayed this year were two "F" Model Mack Tractors- both amazing simular to the two "F" models my Dad owned when I was a child growing up. The first one, was a "Hayward" or "Western" F model (built at Mack's Hayward, California plant) 1974 F700 with a 237 Maxidyne engine, and a 5 speed Fuller transmission. This truck had a single rear axle, as Dad specialized in hauling brand new trailers out of the Trailmoblie trailer factory in Lansdale, Pa. The second tractor, another F700, (an Allentown Mack) this one with a 300 Maxidyne and a 10-speed Fuller trans, had dual rear axles, as by this time Dad had switched to hauling freight. Needed more horses, gears, and axles for freight instead of empty brand new trailers.

The two tractors that I saw, were pretty simular in basic appearance and make-up (drivelines) to Dad's two rigs. What a flood of memories that came rushing back into my subconscious, especially with Dad standing there along side me enjoying the trucks. I am sure he was just as giddy as I was. I can't begin to tell you how many miles I logged in the right-hand seat of these two trucks, between the ages of 5 or so up to when I turned 11 or 12.

Yes, I have said it before. Dad was an owner-operator trucker (a point of interest here- he participated in the nationwide trucker's strike of 1979, and even had a guest editorial published in the now-closed Philadelphia Bulletin, and he also appeared as a guest commentator on a sunday evening local news show.) Dad wasnt around much when I was a kid. There wasnt a plethora of money, either. Birthdays and holidays were a little thin on the presents.

Many of my Aunts accused my parents, especially my father for "not being there." My mother was a nurse who worked third shift (11PM to 7AM) so she was always sleeping during the day. If I was not being babysat by my sister, I was with a babysitter. So my Aunts blamed my folks for what they perceived to be "social" problems at the time, and even later on in life. I dont. My mom and dad were out there doing it, especially my Father.

He was out there hauling trailers back and forth in the beginning, and then later on he hauled freight. Lots of it. He kept a roof over our heads, food in our bellies, and clothing on our backs. In the summers, I was with him, sitting in the right seat of those two Macks (and some other trucks too, but it was mainly those two Bulldogs.) By the time I was 12 years old, I saw probably close to 30 of the 48 continental United States, and countless Cities. By the time I was 17 (with the help of my "Uncle" Dennis) I saw 46 of the 48 continental United States. The only 2 I have not seen are Oregon and Washington. (Plus Hawaii and Alaska, but who's counting!!!) Dad taught me almost everything I know about trucks and the trucking industry. He taught me how to hook up trailers, raise landing gear, plug in pigtails and brake lines.....How to manually pump the hydraulic pump to raise the cabs of those 2 "F" models.....He taught me about fueling up, how to put in the anti-ice additives when you buy fuel in the winter....He taught me how to smack tires to listen for flats......HE taught me how you can see girls legs and tits, down in cars, when you are high up in the air.....

I spent the day with my Father today looking at hundreds of trucks, every shape, size and color, every concievable manufacturer.....We stood along side trucks looking at interiors, under hoods, at drivelines. We loved the 1937 Ford Pickup truck with the V8 flathead that the elderly gentleman started up for us. We loved looking at the 1978 CF Mack Firetruck from Wescoesville, Pa. We loved looking at the 1979 Kenworth tractor with the 12V71 Detroit Diesel (800+ horsepower!!!!) We loved the early 1920's Autocar coal trucks with the beautifully polished and stained wooden cabs......Or the 1924 Ahrens Fox R-K-4 Front mount piston pumper firetruck...But there were three trucks there today that I truly cherished looking at with him- those two "F" Model Macks, and of course the Yardumian Family Firetruck.

Happy Father's Day, Dad.

By the way, for everyone's amusement, since my Father's name is "Sam", my CB handle is "Son of Sam." :wacko:

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS