Help...won't Start

Last night on my MS200 I turned the switch and all the panel lights came on as normal. When I turned the switch further to start it the starter turned a little and then everything went off. No lights...nothing. It sounds like a fuse to me. I checked all the fuses in the fuse panel and none were blown. Is there a main fuse somewhere else I'm missing. What are your thoughts?

Last night on my MS200 I turned the switch and all the panel lights came on as normal. When I turned the switch further to start it the starter turned a little and then everything went off. No lights...nothing. It sounds like a fuse to me. I checked all the fuses in the fuse panel and none were blown. Is there a main fuse somewhere else I'm missing. What are your thoughts?

[/quote

Check the battery terminal connections, and related terminals on the starter solenoid. This sounds like an intermittent connection due to corrosion.

The sudden, and high current draw taxed an already marginal connection. Can't tell you how many times I've seen this through the years.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I am with Rob on this one. We had the same problem with an Isuzu we had. I thought the batteries were shot as the lights and accessories worked fine but turn the key and the starter solenoid would engage and turn the engine a little. One night I was outside the truck by the batteries and when the driver went to start it I saw a spark jump from the terminals. So I wiggle the battery cable and it started right up. Next day I used my 99 cent terminal cleaner and tightened up the connections and it never gave us a problem again.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

• 4 weeks later...

I had a somewhat similiar experience. My truck is original 6 volt positive ground. I tried starting the truck one day, the engine turned over but wouldn't start. I tried it again, the engine wouldn't budge. Thought it was a connection problem, as you all suggest. Un did all the connections, cleaned them and retightened. Still nothing.

I tried to see if the starter was any good using an ohmmeter to check for continuity. Nothing. Brought the started to a rebuilder who found that the flex strap from the voltage terminal to the winding had come unsoldered. Unsoldered due to the high current drawn and the low terminal voltage present at the starter.

Five minute solder job and replacement all the starting curcuit cable with good size multi strand welding cable, using the shortest path, I haven't had a problem since.

And boy, does that 6 volt engine turn over fast now.