1948 Eg

Packer

I'm trying to come up with a set of gears for my EG two axle (single drive).

I'm looking for something in the 4:1, maybe 5:1 ratio.

I'm thinking that 65-70 mph would be great for the old beast on 10.00X20/11.00X22.5 tires.

I don't know if there is something I can get new or if used will be the way to go.

50+ is all the old girl will do now and I have no desire to keep the engine tached that high for anything more than getting up to speed.

Thanks in advance!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

You are not going to find gears in that ratio for the old Mack rear . So 2options change the entire rear axle or find a small spicer aux. like a 5531 -6231 . Thses have vatious ratios so you need to get the letter after the number to be able to find out.

John Evans,

Trucks & Dogs are expensive!!

I was not looking forward to changing changing the rear diff out or putting in an aux. tranny. The wheel base is very short and may not have room for both aux and drivelines.

The brakes are fluid, not air, and there might be a problem getting a rearend (with Dayton wheels) to match up, and the East coast is a long way to go for a 2 speed (yes, I think I might jost as well!!) rear set of gears. But I'm still looking!

Hey, TruXnut, Did we do alright on the steering axle for Jim?

I do worry about such things!

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

Yep the brake parts were just what the doctor ordered, exerything was in excelent shape. Was going to put themon last weekend untill Jim discovered his kingpins were shot. At that point he had to go on that busniess trip he was talking about. You saved his butt with those parts.

John Evans,

Trucks & Dogs are expensive!!

hey packer,

Made it home all right from my great western trip, only had to cross the scales twice, something like 32,000 on the rear tandem on the trailer, anyway, I got a two speed rear axle out of a school bus, dayton hubs and all, so, what you need to do is get that other b73 and put it on the trailer and drive on out east...........

15 gears...no waiting!