Big Time Water Leak In 673- Help

I had just fired her up to move her from one shop to the other, and as soon as I had air pressure I noticed a pool of green coolant on the shop floor. I shut down and inspected all the usual things without avail. Absolutely no history of leaks or running hot- this all of a sudden. Really good size leak too. I finally trace it to the top of the engine- where the two valve covers meet in the middle of the head- there is maybe a quarter of an inch space here- and the fuel infector lines run thru the top of this space. Water seems to be hemorrhaging between these valve covers. Anybody seen this before?? Does it mean I've got a head gasket blown (no other indicators of that-yet)? Is ther a freeze plug in this location I can't see?

Any help would be appreciated- I'd really like to run this thing to Cookville later this month.

Dale

doesent sound good Dale... :( if there are no pipes over that aera it likely is a blown HG? I was just working on my 711 today had both valve covers off to paint and I did not notice any pipes/hoses there besides the injector lines. make shure you have a full radiator and check it wile its running to see if indeed the HG is leaking

good luck

Trent

I had just fired her up to move her from one shop to the other, and as soon as I had air pressure I noticed a pool of green coolant on the shop floor. I shut down and inspected all the usual things without avail. Absolutely no history of leaks or running hot- this all of a sudden. Really good size leak too. I finally trace it to the top of the engine- where the two valve covers meet in the middle of the head- there is maybe a quarter of an inch space here- and the fuel infector lines run thru the top of this space. Water seems to be hemorrhaging between these valve covers. Anybody seen this before?? Does it mean I've got a head gasket blown (no other indicators of that-yet)? Is ther a freeze plug in this location I can't see?

Any help would be appreciated- I'd really like to run this thing to Cookville later this month.

Dale

Hi Dale, You may want to check if your engine has a water gallery (for want of a better word) that runs the length of the engine, between the inlet manifold and the heads. Mine does and right in the middle of this gallery is a rubber joiner about 2" long and about 2 1/2" in diameter. I know because mine has just started to leak and I will have to replace it very soon. If the bonnet (hood) is still on, you may have to use a mirror to see what I'm describing.

Hope it's only a minor hiccup for you.

Rod.

Proud owner of;

1961 Mack B61 prime mover.

1981 International ACCO 1810C DualCab Fire Truck