Help with understanding gvw

According to the information in the wiki on this site the gvw of a b61sx is either 55 or 60k. This seams low to me or does the chart not count the steer axle? The numbers for the b81sx are another example. how can a truck with 65k rears and 20k front axle only have a gvw of 65k.

The reason i'am asking (besides general knowlage) is because i'am looking into what it takes to get a PA annual construction overwieght permit. From my reading of the statute these are given to construction trucks registered before 1980. the permit allows 68k gross on a tandem truck instead of the 58,400 you can normally regsiter for. If you don't exceed your trucks gvwr. Has anyone here actually gotten one of these permits? I would like to hear about it.

I know my b61sx is titled for 65k but i also know title weights are often wrong. Furthermore none of the door tags on my older macks have the wieght rating stamped on them. Is this common? and why bother to have the box on the tag if they don't stamp it? Thanks for help Richard

Not sure about your particular state/region.... But here in ontario, the MTO (our dot) puts restrictions on gvw based on spread etc.... Mine is legal for 34,500kg but the specs are far higher......

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Yes , they do the same here. For example, even though you can register a three axle truck for 58400 pracitally the limit is 56000 (18+18+20) unless the spread on your tandems is greater than six feet. That is what makes this permit so applealing to me with it the drive axle limit is 26K per axle.

But, i don't know anyone who has actually gotten one of these permits and i would hate to get a truck set up for this kind weight and then find out the permits are impossible to actually get.