AI350 ECM

rz761

We bought granite that was wrecked and are fixing it. The cab moved during the collision and dented the ECM on the motor. Couldnt get the engine to start so I suspected that the ECM was damaged and no longer got any power to it. I borrowed my friends diagnostic computer and sure enough, the ECM was not getting any power. To double check before I got a brand new one, we had a E-7 427 ECM to plug it just to make sure that it would start, and it did. I know there have been some discussions on here that the AI350 are horrible on power. When I called my local Mack dealer, I asked the questions, of can I turn the engine up to 400hp without doing anything to the turbo or changing components on the motor. They say yes, all I have to do is bring it down and they will up the power with their programming.

But I guess my question is, I used a 427 ECM to see if it would start, and my diagnostic computer was reading that at the time when it was plugged in, it had 427hp. That was a nice sight to see. It almost made me want to leave it in there. Why cant I leave the 427 ECM in it, could damage be done to the motor? And can I buy a computer from mack that already has a 400hp setting on it so I dont have to take it to a dealer to get it turned up?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

RIchie

There are other things that need to be changed other than the programming to bump the HP. My chart is at work on Part differences between HP levels on the AI engine. Chances are you need a turbo or injectors or both to get to 427 if you did keep the 427 engine ECU on there. As a rule of thumb 350 and 400 HP turbos and injectors are the same. 427 and 460 use different ones. There is not much stored on the engine ECU , besides the HP level, there is fan type (air or viscus or electric viscus) , fan temp engagement, A/C (yes-no), engine brake type and a few other choices of things. You could use the 427 ECM as long as it was AI engine and the above choices were set correctly. But to say your gonna get 427 HP, I doubt it with out injector/turbo swap.

• Like 1

ok thanks, so basically I cant just order a ecm for an AI400 and get away with taking it down to get programmed? I got the correct ECM coming for it but just didnt want to get an underpowered ECM if I can get one thats set for 50 more horse for the same expense.

Richie

All new engine ECMs are blank. ( pretty much) . You can plug it in out of the box and truck will start and you can drive it but it will be weak. The part # of the engine ECM has nothing to do with its HP rating, your new ECM could be used in a 275 to a 460 HP, Its all in the dealer programing it with the info/HP of your engine from Macks mainframe computer system. On that style ECM , a tiny dent on the cover can short one out. Looking at my AI engine HP chart. The 350 and 400 HP is exact same engine except the programing is different. when you go up to the 427 or 460 HP the turbo and injectors have to be changed. 427 and 460 use the same injectors but the 460 has a bigger/different turbo than the 427. If you were going to pay that kinda money might as well go all the way to the 460 HP.