1937 International Question

joemac

1937 International D-30 fire engine.

I'm lending a hand back at the old firehouse where I grew up and first joined the fire service in 1968, reassembling their '37 International.

Yesterday I was given the task of installing the gasket on the cowl and radiator shell where the hood closes. They've opted to 'update' to the rubber gasket that IH began using in '38. Rather than riveting the gasket on, they decided to use glue. I expressed my opinion to use 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, which they quickly supplied. I taped off the areas to be glued to prevent any adhesive from showing and then gently closed the hood. The left side aligns perfectly, with an even gap front and rear.

The right side- not so much. The gap in the rear is quite larger than the almost non-existent gap at the front, which indicates to me that the right side hood needs to be moved rearward. While holding it open, I can slide the hood rearward by about 3/16 of an inch, but it doesn't stay there, it slides forward again, taking up the gap at the front. They started removing the screws that hold the radiator shell in an effort to move the shell forward, which is not the correct method of fixing the unequal gaps. They finally gave up and I returned and tightened the screws and studied the hinge setup again.

My question is: how does one correctly adjust the f-to-r position of the right side hood? I see no provision for adjustment. It looks like a spacer placed on the hinge shaft would rectify the problem, but they seem reluctant to remove the hood assembly, and I can't blame them.

Is this mounting universal, as in, any make of truck with a piano hinge hood assembly would be similar?

Edited by joemac

Joemac, I would recommend that you go to oldihc.org and ask the question. They have a section of the forum devoted to the D-series with lots of information. I'm sure they can answer your question. You might also go to binderbooks.com and get a D-series service manual.

Edited by High Binder