Old V8 Trouble

skip

Gday all. Ive got a couple of END864s that Im tryin to get going. and Im like the boy with the wheelbarrow- Ive got the job in front of me. Both of my blocks have cracks between the head stud holes and the counter bores. If anyone is familiar withe the deck surface they will know that there is a very narrow area between these 2 holes, maybe 1/4" at best. As blocks are scarce as hens teeth my options are limited. Bearing in mind I want to keep these engines in the trucks as they are quite rare. One machine shop has the idea of boring the hole out and pressing an insert into it. No one seems too keen to gouge it out and weld it then cut new counter bores out. Im wondering if anyone has encountered similar trouble and what they did to dig themselves out. Thanks everyone, Skip1 :mack1:

Gday all. Ive got a couple of END864s that Im tryin to get going. and Im like the boy with the wheelbarrow- Ive got the job in front of me. Both of my blocks have cracks between the head stud holes and the counter bores. If anyone is familiar withe the deck surface they will know that there is a very narrow area between these 2 holes, maybe 1/4" at best. As blocks are scarce as hens teeth my options are limited. Bearing in mind I want to keep these engines in the trucks as they are quite rare. One machine shop has the idea of boring the hole out and pressing an insert into it. No one seems too keen to gouge it out and weld it then cut new counter bores out. Im wondering if anyone has encountered similar trouble and what they did to dig themselves out. Thanks everyone, Skip1 :mack1:
Forget the welding procedure and i know what you are talking about that was a common problem and the countor bore salvage sleeve is the only fix that i think will help and then that depends on how deep the head bolt thread is cracked. glenn

glenn akers