Coolant Filter with no chemical

88R91RD

Have an "88" R Model with a 350HP E6. Want to replace the current coolant filter with additive to one without the chemicals/additive. Want to switch coolant over to the pink dexcool type coolant. Switched my RD over already, but that filter was different. That filter had 3/4" threads and the "88" has a 1" thread. Is there a filter that is equivalent to the Baldwin B5176 filter I am using in the other truck, but with the 1" threads for this one?

As a follow up, Baldwin Filters replied back to me and gave me the right filter number I needed. It is a B5177. So for those who are/were thinking about converting your green antifreeze over to the pink/red Dexcool style antifreeze, you would have to use the coolant filters without the additives. Baldwin B5176 for the housings with 3/4 threads and a Baldwin B5177 for the housing with 1" threads. Mike

The coolant conditioner filter, housing, and tube were removed from my EM7. The fleet used red coolant. Are you saying I do not need a coolant conditioner?

What is your recommendation....keep it as is or reinstall the coolant conditioner filter?

Do I still need to check the additives with a strip?

Thanks!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I personally wanted the filter as added insurance, but with the red/pink coolant you can't use the filters designed for the engines. Those filters were designed to be use with the "green" antifreeze. If you want to put the housing and line back on, you need to use one of those filters with no chemicals/additives in it. I don't believe in the test strips only because I am flushing and draining my cooling systems every 4 to 5 years which equates to about 50,000mi for me. A lot of city driving. The red coolant is designed to last 5yrs/500,000mi in theory. Never had any problems with liners in my Cat motors or Macks for that matter, 600,000mi and 30,000hrs before rebuilds. The truck in question was a new purchase. All my other Macks had the smaller filter, That's why I was a little stumped on this one. Mike