New life for an Old Dog

My uncle has a '74 R686 tri axle, double frame, 237 turned up to a 300, 6spd, steel bed, etc. The cab is in decent shape and all the truck really needs are tires and some TLC.....with the huge exception of the frame being split on the bottom flange between the tandems. I could probably acquire the truck fairly cheap. But if I would, the big question is, should I cut the frame down and make it a tandem, or put new rails under it? With that being said, what exactly is involved with putting new rails under the truck?

Being in the process of getting your CDL's is like sitting on death row...

Did the flange break because of rust swelling of overloading? If it was overloaded id say ya make ya a tandem. If there is rust swelling its only gonna get worse especially if its already broke one of the frames and the only way to fix it is to have it reframed. Do you have any oics of the truck and it affliction?

If its only a crack it can be fixed. If it's all rusted and swelled then it's iffy! You could cut it off ahead of where it's bad and section in a new piece of frame easier than replacing rails and a easy fix if it's at the rear of the frame especially with a double frame.