Navistar Launches New Global Websites

kscarbel

Russia - http://www.internationaltrucks.com/russia/

South Africa - http://www.internationaltrucks.co.za/NC2SouthAfrica/

(Note the 9800 COE)

Middle East/Northern Africa - http://mena.internationaltrucks.com/

Latin America - http://www.internationalcamiones.com/LatinAmerica/

Mexico - http://www.internationaltrucks.com/mexico/

Note the Chinese JAC light trucks rebadged as the Navistar "CityStar" (no relation to the original CF-Series CityStar and Ford LCF with the Mazda-sourced cab)

The 9800 looks dated compared to COE offerings from the European builders. Interesting to see the Workstar with sleep and roof fairing for South America. I've never been that happy with the International Trucks website but I guess they plan to stick with the design style seeing as they are using it for the global markets now.

How about this Chinese DuraStar.

chinanavistar2.jpg

Will we ever seen the latest incarnation of the LoadStar? International purchased a large factory in Alabama for the manufacturing of it but that was before the whole EGR debacle.

The 9800 looks dated compared to COE offerings from the European builders. Interesting to see the Workstar with sleep and roof fairing for South America. I've never been that happy with the International Trucks website but I guess they plan to stick with the design style seeing as they are using it for the global markets now.

Will we ever seen the latest incarnation of the LoadStar? International purchased a large factory in Alabama for the manufacturing of it but that was before the whole EGR debacle.

I don't care for the Navistar website either but at least they are attempting to do more globally.

Yes, the 9800 of course is dated, being based on the 9600/9700 that launched in mid-1981. If you see the 9800 in person, you'll think it has aged quite well though with the various upgrades. Navistar says they plan to sell it in South Africa up to 2017. It's a proven and rugged design. When you're driving throughout South Africa, it's very interesting to see hundreds of Freightliner Argosies and International 9800s mixed in with the Scanias and Mercedes-Benz trucks on the highways.

While I think it's great for Navistar to have a purpose-designed garbage truck chassis, I was extremely disappointed in every aspect of the LoadStar's cab design. It looked like poorly thought out engineering.

Navistar last month announced they completed transitioning all their models to SCR. They listed every model.......except the LoadStar. I think it has quietly been cancelled, or delayed, due to a lack of money. Navistar had to prioritize its financial resources, given the unexpected expense of re-engineering their trucks over to SCR. Below is the most recent news. Navistar is keeping developments off the radar..

Navistar’s Plans On Hold

The Times Daily / December 17, 2012

BARTON, ALABAMA — The waiting continues at Barton Riverfront Industrial Park. Navistar International Corp.’s plan to produce its LoadStar refuse truck at the plant was stalled this year.

The plant, which could create 2,200 jobs, would provide a major economic impact. But problems arose this year when the Environmental Protection Agency did not approve Navistar’s EGR emissions technology.

Some activity is occurring at the plant, which has more than 150 full-time workers. Karen Denning, director of communications for Navistar’s truck division, said fabrication operations are going on at the Colbert County facility. Denning has not commented on how long it would take until truck production gets under way.

The Retirement Systems of Alabama (RSA) is providing financing for Navistar’s operation at Barton.

In March, Navistar announced it would build its International LoadStar truck at Barton. In June, company officials announced the truck’s body also would be built at the plant, meaning everything but the engine would be built at Barton. The engine would be manufactured at its Huntsville plant.

The Barton facility was constructed after the July 2007 announcement that the National Alabama railcar plant would operate there and bring at least 1,600 jobs. A weak economy and other problems thwarted those plans, causing RSA, which invested more than $600 million in the project, to take over ownership of the plant. Navistar took over the nearly mile-long plant in Barton Riverfront Industrial Park on January 1.

The Shoals Industrial Development Committee unanimously agreed Sept. 26 to transfer the incentives committed to National Alabama to Navistar. The action allowed Navistar to qualify for up to $23 million in incentives if the company meets specified employment thresholds. The company has about three years remaining to meet those thresholds.

Navistar must reach and maintain 900 workers before qualifying for any incentive money, which would be $7.67 million at that level, according to the Shoals Economic Development Authority.

The company will have until December 31, 2015, to reach 1,800 workers to qualify for the full incentive package.

Company officials never confirmed the amount of workers who would be at the plant, but Gov. Robert Bentley said in September it would have 1,800 workers. Officials said the plant could produce as many as 2,200 jobs when spin-off jobs are taken into account.

State officials who helped put together an incentive package for Navistar said as many as 2,200 workers could be affiliated with the plant within four years.