Navistar Issues Recall for Fifth-Wheel Problem

kscarbel

Transport Topics / October 28, 2013

Navistar International Corp. has issued a recall for more than 16,000 tractors to correct a potential problem that could cause a trailer to release unexpectedly from the fifth wheel.

The recall, posted on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website, pertains mostly to International ProStar models built between February 2008 and July 2013 and equipped with an electronic fifth wheel jaw release system. The action also includes a small number of TranStar and LoneStar tractors built during the same timeframe.

Navistar estimated that 25% of the identified trucks could have the defect.

Because of an assembly error, the air lines at the isolation/vent valve may not be oriented correctly, which could cause the fifth wheel jaw to release in the event of air leakage at the valve, according to the recall notice.

“Navistar is making every effort to ensure the safety of our vehicles and is cooperating fully with NHTSA throughout the recall process,” spokeswoman Elissa Maurer said. “It is important to note that this air line routing condition does not affect normal operation. The company is notifying customers and International dealers will inspect vehicles and conduct any needed repairs.”

Yeah, I'd say that's a problem.

I'm fine with the manual release. I'll take my chances of getting dirty to not have to worry about additional ways the fifth wheel can fail. Also, the more in-cab controls there are the more likely a driver is to skimp on pre- and post-trips.

Jim

Yeah a good pull handle on a Fontaine no slack is the way to go on a 5th whl. I kinda miss my air slide, that manual can be tricky without a 2nd pair of hands but its doable.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"