1945 American Lafrance Invader ramp truck brakes wanting modern booster

mr-dash

Any body know about the air over hydtaulic brakes on the 86 Ford F700 i,m using as a donor. Will i have to have a comercial drivers license in texas. Look like normal hydraulic brakes with air rear parking brake.

Front are dual caliper disc that look like a oversize F-350 or F-500. I dont want to use this trucks hydroboast system as it has lines and valve system from hell. Heard a international has a floor pedal hydroboast set up thats pretty simple and basic. I need simple and basic floor pedal assy. For a 2 ton hydraulic system. Vacuum or hydraulic ? Consider any modern I can find the linkage in a salvage yard and buy rebuilt or new master cylinder and booster.

See my project post on other makes trucks forum. Thanks JD

post-14958-0-25638800-1379254148_thumb.j

post-14958-0-58076200-1379254175_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

That F-700 donor has Lucas-Gerling brakes, they are evil. The parking brake cans have springs, and release with hydraulic pressure from a second power steering pump on the engine. I would find a nice disc brake rear out of a newer International, simple and no evil expensive parts.

I This weekend i swapped the axles and found the red fluid in the rear parking brake system. These axles have the same measurements across the leaf perchs. They bolted right up. It seems like it takes 90 psi of air pressure to release the rear parking brake. I was thinking of having about a 3 to 5 gallon heavy duty air tank half full of trans fluid presurize it to 100 psi to release the parking brake. ????

I This weekend i swapped the axles and found the red fluid in the rear parking brake system. These axles have the same measurements across the leaf perchs. They bolted right up. It seems like it takes 90 psi of air pressure to release the rear parking brake. I was thinking of having about a 3 to 5 gallon heavy duty air tank half full of trans fluid presurize it to 100 psi to release the parking brake. ????

Or is it possible to use only air to release the rear parking nrakes on this f700 system. Seems like shop air released for now like the other air brake systems do. Just trying to weigh any options here on my project from hell !!!!!