06 Granite CB mounting

My work truck is an '06 Granite tri-axle dump... I need to mount my CB without the use of a bungee cord! I don't understand that plate on the dash, and the truck im finally getting to call home, the CB mount plate isn't even mounted on the dash anymore... it is in the truck though. I prefer my radio hanging from the headliner over the dash, but the sunvisors are a little in the way... What do you guys have going on for the CB radio? Secondly, what about the coax? Can it be routed through the mirror arms and the doorframe like the heated mirror wire? I haven't gotten that in depth into researching this since I have been bouncing from truck to truck lately, but I am finally getting assigned a truck and its supposed to be staying that way.

re mount the plate to the dash and use the velcro strap to hold the radio to it, or if its missing go get one at your local Mack dealer or salvage yard, I have a buddy that mounted his radio high in a Granite, I cant stand it its in the way of everything and the headliner isnt strong enough to hold it for long.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I also recommend using the plate on top of the dash. An alternative to the strap is to simply Velcro the radio directly to the plate. I've done that in the past when the strap had gone MIA and it worked great, even looked a little cleaner. Mack's "reverse" visors also make for an excellent location to hang a mic-keeper or bungee if you choose. The mic is within reach without really blocking the view.

You may want to consider just routing the coax through the passenger door and tucking it behind trim/weatherstripping etc. I'm a fanatic when it comes to a clean installation and with 18' of coax in a CH I drove years ago about 3" total of it was visible. Routing through the door will flatten it a bit but after doing it for several years on several trucks, I've never had a coax fail at that point. You want to replace your coax every so often any way. I usually replace it every year or so but opinions on that vary. Either way, replacement is a lot easier when your not routed through the mirror arm.

Jim

Ha, yeah its easier thru the door but my ocd gets me, I put it thru the mirror arm and run it with the factory wiring. It takes a while but it looks cleeeeean when yur dun. I always use a Wilson 18' with the removable end they seem to get the best swr's for me.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

One thing I don't like about the way the CB cable is routed is right at the door loom. It always rubs and leaves exposed wiring as it pulles in and out of the hole. I see so many macks with the CB cable just ran through the door jam and right to the radio because it's a lengthy process to run a new cable through the door and up to the upper mirror mount.

Plus the placement of the CB radio mounting must of been a last minute design, I found a lot of drivers complaining of the fuse panel cover making noise from the panel cover rubbing with the weight of the radio on top of it. The only remedy is to pull up the cover and put electrical tape around the ledge to help keep the cover from rubbing.

Jeff - The Bulldog Doctor

:mack1: Master Technician

• 1 month later...

Hmm... ok. Gotta figure out how that plate attached now! I have been toying with trying to run the coax through the mirror and door... right now its pretty well tucked into the weather strip. Guess someday i'll have to invest in the removable end coax! I'm a little OCD myself and I completely agree with keeping it clean, it annoys me enough knowing nothing is hidden as it is now. lol thanks for the input guys