Throttle Linkage

As you can tell, I am in the throes of going over this old truck and finding lots of things to fix. Now I am looking for a throttle linkage - the parts apparatus that runs between the rod that comes across the front of the radiator and the boomerang shaped jobber that is actuated by the accelerator.

I can't affford to buy all this stuff from Mack. Any sources on this for an 83 cruiseliner?

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

As you can tell, I am in the throes of going over this old truck and finding lots of things to fix. Now I am looking for a throttle linkage - the parts apparatus that runs between the rod that comes across the front of the radiator and the boomerang shaped jobber that is actuated by the accelerator.

I can't affford to buy all this stuff from Mack. Any sources on this for an 83 cruiseliner?

For many years i just loved to replace the linkeage on the f models and if they had a V8 the better but i would throw all the likeage alway and install a push pull 3/16 cable to the pump and did or helped a freind do one last week on a DM.You have to be handy at fab work or forget it. You make a anchor bracket for both end of the cable housing and mix and match the lever lengths needed to get the feel you want and if you have loose mounts or a toughey governor that is hard to drive and jacks off when you take off the the cable will get where you want. My freind had some bad linkage but the cab was jacking around and that makes the governor too toughey if it is a AMBC punp. He called me that night and told me how happy he was with it .You can make the petdal a longer thro but easy and it is a improvement. Most truck after market stores can order or here the one store can make you cable in 10 min. the way you want it. I use them and make the cable to push and it works ok.

glenn akers

For many years i just loved to replace the linkeage on the f models and if they had a V8 the better but i would throw all the likeage alway and install a push pull 3/16 cable to the pump and did or helped a freind do one last week on a DM.You have to be handy at fab work or forget it. You make a anchor bracket for both end of the cable housing and mix and match the lever lengths needed to get the feel you want and if you have loose mounts or a toughey governor that is hard to drive and jacks off when you take off the the cable will get where you want. My freind had some bad linkage but the cab was jacking around and that makes the governor too toughey if it is a AMBC punp. He called me that night and told me how happy he was with it .You can make the petdal a longer thro but easy and it is a improvement. Most truck after market stores can order or here the one store can make you cable in 10 min. the way you want it. I use them and make the cable to push and it works ok.

Sounds like it works well, but I am having a hard time visualizing this. You are saying just get rid of it all and run a 3/16 guage cable between the accelerator pedal and the other end? Can you send pics or something to help me get the idea?

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

Sounds like it works well, but I am having a hard time visualizing this. You are saying just get rid of it all and run a 3/16 guage cable between the accelerator pedal and the other end? Can you send pics or something to help me get the idea?

[/ Yes a cable from the bottom lever of the accerator to the lever on the governor.I dont have any photos of this. The cable will need to go around the engine to the front or to the rear which ever way that is needed.

glenn akers

Justin,

The truck that I know if is mainly complete in a yard. I will get photos of it this week. It appears as if your best source of parts is going to be a parts truck. A parts truck is always good to have around when dealing with something with age and wear. I have two parts trucks for my G. During restoration I could use the best of what was available for my truck.

I also suggest you spend a day reviewing your truck so you know most of the parts you need. Make a list, then when you do find a donor truck you can make sure it has the parts that you so desperately need. This will make things alot smoother and ultimately reduce costs for you.

I've seen the Cruiseliner you bought advertised for quite a while. Did you get the trailer as well?

Good Luck and when I get by the yard I will forward the photos. Doug

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

Justin,

The truck that I know if is mainly complete in a yard. I will get photos of it this week. It appears as if your best source of parts is going to be a parts truck. A parts truck is always good to have around when dealing with something with age and wear. I have two parts trucks for my G. During restoration I could use the best of what was available for my truck.

I also suggest you spend a day reviewing your truck so you know most of the parts you need. Make a list, then when you do find a donor truck you can make sure it has the parts that you so desperately need. This will make things alot smoother and ultimately reduce costs for you.

I've seen the Cruiseliner you bought advertised for quite a while. Did you get the trailer as well?

Good Luck and when I get by the yard I will forward the photos. Doug

No, I didn't buy the trailer - I don't move enough wood to justify its use. How long was the truck up for sale? It needs a lot of work - seems like previous owners were cutting corners regularly. And because this is my first time thru, I often don't know exactly what I am looking at, or where to begin. Thanks for the sound advice. I hope I can get my hands on that parts truck. Look forward to hearing from you man...

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I have been climbing around the engine compartment, I understand better what you are describing. Given the fact that I can't find the parts I need, used or new, your suggestion is sounding better. Does your method accomodate the cab tilting forward without stress, and while the truck is idling? It seems to me, the original setup must have done this (and mine should as well), but I am not sure how...

Just how much of the linkage did you throw out? I mean, I have most of the linkage, from the pedal down to the triangular, boomerang-ish, three-fingered part and then from the injection pump (governor) across the front of the engine to a lever. Really, I am only missing probably two parts, and one of the return springs over by the governor, but I don't think that's critical.

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

Now that I have been climbing around the engine compartment, I understand better what you are describing. Given the fact that I can't find the parts I need, used or new, your suggestion is sounding better. Does your method accomodate the cab tilting forward without stress, and while the truck is idling? It seems to me, the original setup must have done this (and mine should as well), but I am not sure how...

Just how much of the linkage did you throw out? I mean, I have most of the linkage, from the pedal down to the triangular, boomerang-ish, three-fingered part and then from the injection pump (governor) across the front of the engine to a lever. Really, I am only missing probably two parts, and one of the return springs over by the governor, but I don't think that's critical.

With a push pull cable you can raise the cab and lower the cab when runing but no cabover need to be running when the cab is raised or lowered. It is too dangerous to do so because the trans could be knocked into gear. if you use a cable you need to connect to the governor lever and the other end be connected to the pedal but this is not just a bolt on deal.

It will require some fab work and you need to use your lever lenths to your best advangage and if you are not a fab man i would not do much thinking about it unless that is your last move. glenn

glenn akers

With a push pull cable you can raise the cab and lower the cab when runing but no cabover need to be running when the cab is raised or lowered. It is too dangerous to do so because the trans could be knocked into gear. if you use a cable you need to connect to the governor lever and the other end be connected to the pedal but this is not just a bolt on deal.

It will require some fab work and you need to use your lever lenths to your best advangage and if you are not a fab man i would not do much thinking about it unless that is your last move. glenn

That's a good point, about the trans. But sometimes it's instructive to see the engine work. It pretty much is my last move. I can figure it out. Thanks

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry