RD steering column question

I've been hearing a little squealing noise when I turn the wheel on my '96 RD688S. I've never had a steering column apart before, but I assume there's a couple of bearings in there? Are they lifetime lubricated or can you oil 'em up? This is, I believe, the last year for the big black plastic steering wheel. All the '97's I've seen have the little wheel with metal spokes. How is the best way to go about pulling the wheel off?

Jake

From the early 90's on there were two wheels one 20" plastic and an 18" two spoke the latter came with higher level interior or just a stand alone option. There are bearings in there and they are lifetime lubricated but I have used a pin oiler before around the tops of them and let a little run in. You can swap the big wheel for the small one or buy an aftermarket wheel, I put an 18" two spoke leather wrapped with brushed nickle spokes in my 85 it was $240. The bearings to rebuild the column and the u joints along the shaft all the way to the box cost a whopping $60 for all and its easy to do.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Just out of curiosity you have greased the ujoint and slip yoke under the column right? They will squeak when they get dry. I can't remember when they started using the sealed ujoints on em, most of mine were greasable.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"