1996 RD688S broken frame repair

Has anybody ever had the frame to crack around the hole for the pitman arm shaft? I've got a hairline crack developing across the top flange and I was wondering what would be the best way to go about patching it up? Here's what I'm thinking; Please let me know if I'm wrong... 1. Stop-drill the end of the crack. 2. Grind and vee the crack out. 3. Preheat the living heck out of it with a rose bud. 4. Weld 'er up. 5. Either find a piece of frame the right size for an outer glove, or weld a diamond shaped patch to the rail itself. I'd rather go with the glove for the sake of looking neat, but I don't want to sacrifice durability for looks, either. Any idears?post-560-0-78954200-1359687677_thumb.jpgpost-560-0-98178500-1359687735_thumb.jpgpost-560-0-56490500-1359687775_thumb.jpg

Jake

We recently repaired a crack in a 1996 international otr tractor. 500k miles cracked dead center above the front axel. Top rail flange was cracked and raised up 1" ....looked like it pinched the rail and the tension pushed the flange upward. We added a inner channel as far forward and aft as we could before getting into big bolts. About 8" either side of the crack. We drilled a hole to stop it spreading,welded up the crack and it's held for the last year with no trouble. Yours will be a little more intense of a repair in that area and the way Mack frames are up front....

I gotcha. That IH would have a Shepard M100 mounted on the outside of the frame right? Is that why you went with the inner glove? I'm thinking outer so I don't have to modify on the steering gear any, other than some longer bolts. I'm just dreading it, because welding's not one of my strong points yet.

Jake

Mack LE's cracked on the front right side lower flange, right behind the bracket for the steering asst drag link. Mack's repair was, stop drill at the end of the crack, grind v into crack, weld, grind smooth, then add a outer glove bracket, drill more body mount bolt holes and install body mount bolts. This glove replaced the steering asst mount (not related to your problem, just adding that).

Your idea sound right on. Outer glove should be fine. You could always find a welder to repair the crack.