1997 Ch 613

What can you guys tell me about these trucks i have never owned a mack before,i am looking at a 1997 CH 613 72 inch condo 454 -18 speed and 40000 mack diffs 417 ratio.the truck is mint one owner from new 900000 miles on it but in the last 75000 he has done the engine ,clutch,turbo front dif and power divider.tranny done 90000 miles ago.and lots of little things.

What are mack 454.s like on fuel say running dry box 80000 lb max and running west coast. :SMOKIE-LFT::SMOKIE-RT:

Any advise or thoughts are welcome,

Cheers James

post-1638-1188193275_thumb.jpg

Nice looking truck, matter of fact, except for the color it looks just like mine. I've got a '99 with the E-Tech 460.

I've talked with a lot of owners of that same engine you have and most love them, same with the 427 mechanical. The great thing about the mechanical vs the e_Tech, is that you can fine tune your engine, where I can't. You won't need to waste money on getting the computer re-flashed, which for me has done nothing but lightened my wallet.

Mileage wise, both engines do about the same. Grossed out going west, you can expect between 5.4 and 5.8 mpg. If you run at night west of I-35. In the day time, the easterly winds are a bit stronger, so you'll want to drive West at night and run east in the day time to take advantage of the winds. With a 1 to 2 ounces of acetone per 10 gallons of fuel, you should notice a mpg improvement of .5 mpg, at least I did, and my average went from 5.8 to 6.3 over the last 31k miles. Hopes this helps

• 2 months later...
Man almighty is that a sharp CH. Most 454 owners i've talked to love them. Seldom do I here of any e-7 that doesn't get above 6 mpg.

The main difference maybe is that I've got 3.70 rear ends on lp24.5 tires and I rarely run above 65 mph, which puts my rpm at about 1460 rpm. Not sure if that rpm is ideal for this setup. Mack says the ideal rpm is between 1550 and 1650 rpm, but that would have me cruising between 70 and 74 mph in high gear. :wacko:

• 3 months later...

My dad has a 96 that has 454 with an 18 speed mack and 3.90 rears with 24.5lp rubber and he gets around 6.2-6.5, he runs near grossed out and runs about 70mph most of the time. hope this helps. You'll be VERY happy with that 454 motor. he has 1.3 million miles on his and is still goin strong.

1993 Mack CH613 350 V-mac complete with Blixxton II module, RTX14710B Fuller tranny, 4.17 ratio 38K camelback rears, converted to 5-axle dump truck in 1999. Over 1 Million miles and counting on original motor