You Tube

other dog

You guys got me started checking out You Tube,now it's on my favorites list.The other morning I was checking it out,listening to A GMC grain truck with A 671 Detroit and a straight pipe,and I came across one called "shifting A Diamond Reo dump truck".It had a 671 too,with a 5 speed and 2 speed rear.Usually I don't even read the comments people make about the videos,but this time I did.Some guy,obviously A youngster,said it was A super ten transmission.I'm pretty sure he was young because he said "dude,I can shift like that without using the clutch".Another guy explained the difference between a super ten transmission and an electric shift 2 speed rear end,with A 4 or 5 speed transmission.And explained it perfectly I might add. Then the first guy said " well,I don't drive an old dump truck,I drive A (don't remember,so and so something or other) Western Star with A 3213 Cat and 18 speed Fuller Eaton pro shift transmission".(his wording) Being the old truck lover that I am I felt like I should put my 2 cents worth in when he dissed that fine looking Diamond Reo- if it were mine I wouldn't trade it for 2 Western Stars! So I just told him it sounded like he did all his trucking in the sand box,'til mama called him in at nap time.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

hey other dog i was the one trying to explain the difference between the 2 trannys & its like trying to talk to a brick wall <_<:blink:

Ya im still young myself (32) but i was raised on the ole 2 sticks (mack & others) & 4&2 ,5&2 & even a 13 & 2 & allison 5spd w/ 2spd . my 1st 2 trucks i learned how to drive was "olddog" & "lil jimmy" a 74' GMC 9500 s/a tractor w/ 671 (238) 5&2 tranny double framed 23k rearend w/ bellyblower exhaust (i loved this ole truck as much as i do "olddog" & when my granddad traded it for a 4wd 4 wheeler in 97' i didnt talk to him (except when i had to & that wasnt much ) for a month "lil jimmy" was in the family since 75'

loved going under a overpass loaded & hearing that ole bellly blower 238 Detroit screamin aganist the wall :D

ya put alot of these young guys in a truck w/ a 2 stick or a truck w/ a 2spd rearend most will tell ya i dont know how to drive that the others that do are probly country boys from the farm or was raised in logging or construction like i was

BTW My handle on youtube is B422T Mack ;)

Later

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Well I'll be- small world after all I guess!One of the first trucks I drove was A 58 or 59 Ford F-600 with A 4 speed and 2 speed axle.My younger brother,myself,and our friend Mike decided to go into the pulpwood business when Mike's daddy was clearing some land.We figured we'd cut the trees for pulpwood and haul them to A woodyard about 5 miles away and get rich,instead of him just bulldozing them into A pile to be burned later.The truck usually had A cattle body on it,but it was off to haul hay and stuff at this particular time,so it was A perfect pulpwood truck-or so we thought.It still had A flat bed body,and we loaded all the wood ourselves.By hand.It was short wood,5 foot lengths,still green,and very heavy of course.I was about 17,Mike A year younger,my brother a year younger than Mike.We managed to cut and load about 2 loads,maybe 3,then we decided to retire.Back then I think A load payed about 30 or 40 dollars I don't remember,but it was A whole lot of work for the money.

Thats a good story man i couldnt imagine loading logs by hand thank the Lord for trackhoes & loaders ;) & of course we drug our logs out w/ a 1566 blackstripe & 1256 I.H & A D3B & D4E Cat w/ hyster winches for years

never had a skidder but if we needed 1 Pop's called a buddy of his who had a TimberJack w/ a 371 Detroit in man talk bout a Screamer in the woods :D

later

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Thats a good story man i couldnt imagine loading logs by hand thank the Lord for trackhoes & loaders ;) & of course we drug our logs out w/ a 1566 blackstripe & 1256 I.H & A D3B & D4E Cat w/ hyster winches for years

never had a skidder but if we needed 1 Pop's called a buddy of his who had a TimberJack w/ a 371 Detroit in man talk bout a Screamer in the woods :D

later

I remember a logging operation somewhere near the house when I was A kid (pulpwood was BIG in the area) and I was checking out the equipment and they had 2 Timberjack 230 skidders running with them screaming Detroits in them.Most of the pulp wood cutters were small operations then-A man or two,couple of good saws,pulpwood truck. Not many people had skidders or loaders.Lots of people used 1 ton trucks,easier to get around and easier to load I guess.Now machines do everything,and A man doesn't even have to step on the ground for anything.