Any one know how to get a title for a Govt owned truck?

JTFormula

I came across a 89 IH 4600 flatbed with lift gate for sale with 20k original miles. Besides needing a good bath, the truck looks pretty decent and the price is right. The only thing is the seller does not have a title. He bought it 4 years ago and just used it on a farm. He said since it was a government truck, it didn't have a title. I did some research and I found that Govt vehicles sold to the public will have a Standard Form 97 (SF97) that I can take to the DMV to title it. Unfortunately he doesn't even have that.

Do any of you guys know a relatively easy way to obtain a title for this thing? Should I even bother pursuing this? I must have sent 15 emails back and forth with the owner, who has been very nice to answer my questions. I just don't want to waste my time any further if I can't do anything with this truck.

NJ is not as easy. Its a state of jerkoff laws and shit DMV. If it was NH I wouldn't have a problem because you don't have titles for older vehicles. I know before if you had just a bill of sale, you can go and register the truck then transfer that registation to a title in another state. I had a guy in NH who used to do title stuff for me but I don't think he is around any more.

I contacted a title company who said this is the type of work they do. I'll see what they say and how much for the service. I'd hate to pass up a 20k original mile truck for a price thats less then the value of the motor and trans alone. I really don't need a flatbed with a lift gate but price is everything. Plus I can turn around and sell it once I get a clean NJ title in my name. I think it would be an easy flip.

I came across a 89 IH 4600 flatbed with lift gate for sale with 20k original miles. Besides needing a good bath, the truck looks pretty decent and the price is right. The only thing is the seller does not have a title. He bought it 4 years ago and just used it on a farm. He said since it was a government truck, it didn't have a title. I did some research and I found that Govt vehicles sold to the public will have a Standard Form 97 (SF97) that I can take to the DMV to title it. Unfortunately he doesn't even have that.

Do any of you guys know a relatively easy way to obtain a title for this thing? Should I even bother pursuing this? I must have sent 15 emails back and forth with the owner, who has been very nice to answer my questions. I just don't want to waste my time any further if I can't do anything with this truck.

I buy surplus trucks and trailers from the Government and he is right, you get that stupid form instead of a title. Ask him if he bought it at a live auction or not? If he has only had it a few years, I bet he bought it on Government Liquidation.com. If that is the case, you can get a replacement form from them for $25.00 if he will sign the paperwork to apply for it. I have had to do that in the past and it is not that big of a deal as long as the seller is telling you the truth. Then you just diddy-bopp on down and use that form to apply at the DMV for a new title in your name and hopefully 10 days later you get your title in the mail.

If you go look for the title everyday in the back of your mailbox, first buy one of those mesh hats that us farmers wear. They you bend the brim into a sharp V. That is how we easily get into our mailboxes to pull out our "gummint" checks..........