237 In A B-model

b61fred

Hi all,

I have been hunting for enough parts to start on my b-61 restoration. I have aquired a 237 maxidine engine. I am planing to mate this to a triplex transmission. I have talked to several people on this site about the swap, and it appers to be very straight forward. I have a condensed it in outline form here, I would like for any input on anything I might have forgot.

A: change bellhousing, using 673

B: change starter, using 673

C: change flywheel and clutch using 673

D: change oil pan, using 673 ( clearance for starter)

E: change front accesories to b-model 673 for radiator clearance.

I do have a question about the viberation dampner, I have been told by a very reliable person that the front engine mount is in the way of the harmonic balancer. can the 673 balancer be used in its place or what?

If there is anything I have left out, please add it to this post. I think this is a very popular retrofit for the b-model and am going to document, and photograph the install. That way if anyone would like to do the same we can have the info here on the website, maybe in a archive or something?

Thanks

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

Hi Fred how are you doing, i put a 237 in one of my B models, i would use the 237 balancer, the 673 waterpump will work on the 237 housing, use the crankshaft snout and pulleys from the 673. i used the top raditor hose from a R model cut it down to fit, the bottom hose i took a piece of exaust pipe ( the one that wont rust) bent and expanded it to fit, the rad. and engine are differant sizes. if there is anything i can think of i will let you know. Ron