replaced front bump stops

recently replaced the front spring stops on my 96 mack mr. i have been tracking down a wobble issue ive had for some time. (wobble would occur aroun 35-40 then dissappear) i had alot of work done on my truck. everything from replaced drums, ujoints, insulator pads, trunnion bushings, tie rods, broken spring, tire balance, retorque or replaced frame bolts. and a few other things as well.

came down to replace the front spring bump stops. now things really began to make a difference for the good.

the wobble is about 99% gone, the front rubbers were worn out driver side more than the passenger, but replacing them did the most in curing my problem

what i notice now is the truck runs great unloaded, but if a have a load on, the wobble seems to want to come back. (NOT NEARLY AS BAD AS BEFORE).

my question is do you think i have weak front springs or rear?

thanks i am gonna get this one way or the other.

• 2 weeks later...

If the springs are hitting the stops sounds like the springs are weak,but I don't know if that would cause a wooble!I have seen a bad power stearing pump cause a front end wooble even,a pluged up filter, how is your steering,have you looked into that at all?

thanks. i did notice that my front driver side is a bit lower than my pass side. does not look like a broken spring. is there a way to raise the one side without replacing the whole spring pack?

never thought of the steering pump or filter? how would you check for a bad pump? where would the filter be located?

thanks again.

Hi macattack - Have you checked the Caster on the axle. If the springs are a bit sagged it will change the caster angle and that can give you the wobbles at certain speeds and conditions. When you said that it is still there when the truck is loaded makes me think that it is connected with the angle of the axle. Does it have any wedges between the spring and axle? Just a thought - best regards - Michael.

yes there is a wedge between the spring and axle BUT ONLY ON THE DRIVER SIDE. do you think that is correct? i did notice my driver side is about an inch lower than my pass side. think i got a weak spring pack. i actually believe the previous owner replaced the pass side spring and not the driver side.

Maybe he did not put the wedge back in on the passenger side?????i

i am gonna install one on the pass side and see what happens. should not be too difficult.

thanks