Finally got my HR license

Retro Racer

Hey all,

I'm late '40s but was involved in the heavy transport industry over here in Australia from a very young age up until about 12 years ago in trailer maintenance. Used to build truck models as a kid, went on long truck trips on holidays.

Business, relationships, motor sport and flying all got in the way, but I have just sold my business and after holidaying in the tropics for a month I went and got my HR (Heavy Rigid) License yesterday... Yes the school is open right over Easter, a two truck family operation.

I had driven a few 9, 13 and 15 speed boxes in the early '90s so I was opted to go for my crash box license and the truck on offer was a 2235 Mercedes Benz... So I was spoilt somewhat by the air assisted clutch :P

Although my dream truck is a FL700 Day Cab 285 Maxidyne 5 speed with overdrive (first long distance truck I went for a ride in) I really enjoyed the Benz with its turbo V8 13sp Fuller RR.

Even though she was carrying about 8 tonnes, apart from hill starts, I only used 3-4 low followed by 5-6-7-8 Hi and after a couple of hours all the gears were rounded off nicely offering smooth shifts hehehe.

I was super impressed by the similar torque spread to the old Maxidyne, most of the time only using 800-1,500rpm range.

So I'd better do well in my quest to work in the mining sector here soon as I'll now have to save up for an old F700 and a 2235!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3637674777422.171420.1140819025&type=1&l=6f56aac3ba

Welcome and congratulations on earning your HR license. My story is similar to yours as I also grew up in the industry but did not get my class A until I was 37. One difference is that instead of going on a month long holiday in the tropics, I took the family to Niagara Falls for a week. :blush:

Jim

Thanks guys,

I'm hoping to have a look around the US in the not to distant future too.

Olivetroad, many laboring, drilling or trade positions in the booming mine sector in the far north east/west favor applicants with an unrestricted HR license... Fingers crossed!