question for rob

joes mack

rob you are a world class fiberglass repair man and ive got a question for you if you mix the resin with the hardner and dont put enough of it in for it to set up in the timeframe it should will it eventualy set up or will i have to do it all over again? joe

rob you are a world class fiberglass repair man and ive got a question for you if you mix the resin with the hardner and dont put enough of it in for it to set up in the timeframe it should will it eventualy set up or will i have to do it all over again? joe

You will probably be best to grind it out and start over. Increasing the catalyst amount will speed the cure in colder weather, (don't glass under 65 degrees) but too little catalyst will never develop adequate strength.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

i am trying to re build the rear of my boat and im trying to put two pieces of plywood to gether and its been a great while since ive fooled with fiberglass and cant remember exactly how to mix

Glue and screw the plywood panels together. Do not use the resin as a glue for this. Use a waterproof stuctural adhesive and screws or bolts. The transom takes a lot of torque if using an outboard motor so this has to be right to last.

Post me a photo of the area you are trying to rebuild and I may be able to offer some worthy advice as long as it's not a lopsided type of repair.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

ill try and post some tomorrow or the next day for you to look at but im replacing the whole transom except the outer hull all of the plywood was rotted and im trying to replace it

This is not as difficult as most imagine but a sound plan of progression needs to be in place before commencement. I would either use MDO, (medium density overlay) plywood, or plan to totally encapsulate A/C grade, or marine grade plywood to keep it from rotting. Curved transoms do present more of a challenge but once a jig is set up, a replacement is readily formed. The "tie in" to the existing stucture is, or can be difficult as you really need a strong bond to the existing material(s).

Rob