Mack ME7 650 hp

sea dog

Losing 2 quarts of coolant in a 12 hr day. No external leaks, new heat exchanger, hoses, etc. Put dye in system, no visible leaks or out of exhaust. 14 lb system and put 17 lb or so pressure still no visible leaks. Had a crack welded in exhaust manifold 3 years ago and when we put dye in the system, it was very visible. 1.) Could a leak this small, even with dye, be steaming off or something before it gets to the exhaust? 2.) If it were a cracked head, and leaking stays the same amount, could I get by a little bit before having to deal with it, and what signs might I look for for cracked head senario? Commercial fisherman in Hatteras,NC. Not many guys around here to help with issues. I bought this motor righ tout of the box 14,000 hrs ago and has been great to me with scheduled maintenance. Some of the guys around here have over 20,000 hrs on their's. Thanks

well I dont know anything about prestone but yes it is heat exchanged cooled and turbo charged. Both add ons to marinize the motor. Is also sea water cooled after cooler , gear cooler. The heat exchanger, exhaust manifold, aftercooler, gear cooler, and fuel pump I believe are all of the marine aspects.

I asked the marine mechanic up the road about any way he could routine dianose the motor. and he said I would need a bigger leak than I have to justify really starting to tear things down looking and that though it is possible, these Macks are workhorses and built real tough. I hoping if anything it's where the exhaust maniflod had been previosly welded and I can get by for 3 more weeks of fishing before I have to get it off and pressure tested.

In a truck, I know you can get to the oil drain plug and maybe see if there is some coolant there. On my pan it's on the side with a fitting for an oil change pump and can't quite get what I'm looking for far as the coolant in the oil goes. I got a good oil sample though to compare with one 3 months ago. Maybe it will tell something, or preferrably nothing. Is there anywhere else I can look for moisture/coolant that might be a sign of an internal leak?