Crew Cab R Model Fire Truck?

Saw someone posted this picture on hanks site but the picture is from a collection of another page. The truck in question is probably still there. Did Mack produce a 4 door R cab from factory? I wish I could get in there for a look but its fenced in. Judging from the hubs and filters it looks to be a 60's model. Damn, its so close to me but I don't know what department has jurisdiction of that abandoned air field.

truck1.JPG

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Saw someone posted this picture on hanks site but the picture is from a collection of another page. The truck in question is probably still there. Did Mack produce a 4 door R cab from factory? I wish I could get in there for a look but its fenced in. Judging from the hubs and filters it looks to be a 60's model. Damn, its so close to me but I don't know what department has jurisdiction of that abandoned air field.

truck1.JPG

You're getting slow in your old age. :) That was one of 5 R model crew cab engines purchased by the FDNY in 1969-70. If you remember, the NYC DOT had many of these type rigs. FDNY bought them on a trial basis. Mack made fire equipment till about 1983, after that other companies bought Mack chassis and added their own.

Obviously, a conventional nose with no power steering was a challenge already. But also very cramped for firemen and gear. But was tried due to the "upstanding citizens" in those "wonderful" areas we protect to get the firemen off the tailboard, where things were usually thrown at them (nice upbringing). This was also the infant years of the CF, and with modifications made to them (1st the fold up doors/windows, then the 4 door cab), so this R program stopped.

The rig in the picture was originally used @ E-277 on Knickerbocker Ave. in Bushwick, Bklyn. Finished out at E-242 in Bay Ridge, was used as a Salvage truck, and signed over to the Dept of Aviation, which at the time ran Flushing Airport.

As for getting slow in your old age ;), I also plead guilty.I was over there many times last year. Found a spot to get in, got about 75-100 feet from the hangar, and saw i needed either hip boots or a boat to get to the hangar. So I decided to stop in at the development office (trailer) near the cinema (a private for profit org. that took over from NYC Dept of Aviaton). OF COURSE, he told me this rig was already picked up by a buff, but no one knows who or when. News like that makes the Antique fire circle pretty damn quick.

I saw this on the Forgotten NY website, which I picked up a ton of info on parts of NYC where I work and drive through (Yes, even the Suffolk kids can be curious about the city). While it was nice the rig was kept in a hangar and protected from some of the elements, it obviously has been stripped, and its cab set afire.

Definitely a "Labor of Love" to get that thing running again. Hope this info helps.

And while you're at it, think back to memories as a kid. Check this out.

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/

Take care........................... Jimmy

If it ain't a Mack, it ain't Jack!!!!!! :)

FDNYTRUCKS.com is run by a hackensack fireman. He has info on almost if not EVERY mack fire apparatus, when made, who bouught it who sold it, etc. I found my Mack with his help. IIRC, one may have been totalled, and the other 3 were scrapped. This is the only one left. But if ya got an inflatable fishing boat with a trolling motor, maybe we can make the hangar and see for ourselves.

Now where can we put it if we can get it ? lolol

So NYC DOT had some of these crew cab r's in service as dumps etc? Being from NJ i would have thought I would have heard of one so I guess they didnt have too many. Boy some more pics of these trucks would be cool(like seeing one pic of a crew cab r isnt cool enough)

I recall NYC DOT having numerous 4 door R models. Not as dump truck, I used to see them on road repair carrying asphalt and towing a tar cooker behind it. IIRC, they had dump capabilities, but not as a true "dump truck".

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• 5 years later...