Something New For Me

DWaits

I have also posted this in the ATHS forum but, not all of my online friends read both forums so I am posting it here as well.

Well I have decide to get my CDL and see what it is like to drive full time, I sold both of my businesses and closed on the deal January 15th,. since then I have been working my tractors, getting some more of my land cleard for pasture and getting caught up on all the chores that I have not had time for the last few years. (Oh, I also have been spending some quality time with my Mack pumper and family.)

Last Friday I took the entrance exam at the local community collage (it is accredited so I had to take a two hour test since they have associate degree programs) and passed with no problems other than the algebra portion but they let you use a calculator so I was able to get most of the math problems right.

I know there are more easy and quicker ways to get my CDL but this is what will work best for me and, I am eligible for a scholarship from the state of GA! imagine that, I am 46, have not been to school since the late 70's and I can get a scholarship, mostly due to the GA state lottery program.

Anyway it is a 8 week course and I will be getting a class A with hazmat and tanker endorsements, I do not know yet where this will lead me but, I am looking forward to a new change in life and not having to hear my wife ask me everyday "what are you going to do today?"<grin> and, doing something I have been wanting to do since I was a kid, I started to do it when I was younger but decided to stay with my father and follow him in business.

I will not be driving OTR because of my commitments to my family and home (I have a small farm with horses and a teenage daughter) but I be live there is enough work near me to keep me busy.

Hopefully I will have a choice of trucks and I can drive a Mack, if I decide this is what I want to do for a while

I will buy my own truck and you can bet your last dollar it will be a Mack!

I will keep Y'all posted on my progress.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

David, kudos for learning to drive truck the right was- I've seen all too many of the "one week wonders" wandering the highways. I sorta knew how to drive a truck back in '77, but It was a 6 month course at the local Vo-Tech school that really made me a truck driver. There's simply too much to being a competent truck driver than can be covered in week.