12volt starter conversion on 262

My series parallel switch is toast. I am going to bite the bullet and convert to a 12v starter. It appears from my research that the Delco 42MT is the one I would like. Has anyone used it on the 262 Cummins? I am assuming that it will bolt up, does anyone know the toothcount and direction? I can't wait to get it started again and fix the compressor for a few backroad drives.

Thank you,

Ben

1962 B733 L cab

My series parallel switch is toast. I am going to bite the bullet and convert to a 12v starter. It appears from my research that the Delco 42MT is the one I would like. Has anyone used it on the 262 Cummins? I am assuming that it will bolt up, does anyone know the toothcount and direction? I can't wait to get it started again and fix the compressor for a few backroad drives.

Thank you,

Ben

11 tooth clockwise rotatation should do it. A 42MT will do you a good job. Make certain your secondary cables are in good condition also.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

A 42MT is a good choice, and a Cummins reman is a good way to buy one. You get a quality part with 2 year warranty. Even today there is still a lot of hype about starters, and you do not always get what you pay for.

True word spoken there. You are better off to purchase a reman "Delco" branded than the aftermarket ones that are brand new. The quality of the hard parts is much better.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

It has an alternator on it, can an alternator be set up positive ground or has it been converted?

Alternators are readily available in both positive, or negative ground.

Rob