Water-larm Idiot Lights

sdthoren

Hi guys (and gals)!

On my '64 B73S with a Cummins NH-250, there are a set of idiot lights on the instrument panel made by Water-Larm out of Portland, Oregon. Has anybody ever seen these before?

There is an oil level light and a "water level-aerated coolant" light. It looks like the sending units were removed from the engine, but I'm curious about the company and/or usefulness of the indication. It would seem they either didn't work so well or caused enough problems that a previous owner removed the sending units.

I am in the tear-down process on this truck and am wondering if I should try to resurrect the system or just run with an original style instrument panel?

Thanks,

Scott

Fix them,if not to much trouble, I always lamented the fact that a lot of older Caterpillar equipment didnt have this feature[ warped heads or spun bearings are no fun]some people didnt like the buzzers or lights and if it is a Kysor setup it may have been able to to shut the motor down-Kevin

Kevin,

Do you have an idea of who might have sending units for this indication? There was a drilled hole in the oil pan for level indication, but all that is left is a sealed cover. Same situation for the radiator. I did an internet search for Water-Larm, but didn't come up with anything (of value). It would appear that the sensors had a normally open contact that would close upon warning condition and 12V dc would light up the bulb (no other electronics, etc found). Since the sending units aren't on the engine anymore, I'm not sure my assumptions on their operation are correct. Does anybody know what should be there?

Thanks,

Scott

No not really-I' ve never seen Water Larm units-unless Kysor units will work.Am sure some Mack mechanics or Cummins guys have the info you need-we have a 86 RD that has a Kysor alarm that will actually shut the engine down lf you lose the coolant-sounds like your ol Mack was well equipped in its day-Kevin