Really confused and need help

Well, let me clarify a few things on this.

I don't care what state you are in. One does NOT need a CDL to drive any truck with or without air brakes as long as it is NOT for commercial use. Even if your state says something different, this matter is governed by the United States Department of Transportation. It is federal law not state law and federal law takes precedence over state law. If you get a ticket - fight it. You will win. Refer to Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 383.3 and 383.5 which specifically explain that a CDL is for "commerce" Commerce is then defined as "commercial" - for hire use.

So, I have now gotten more answers from Virginia on registration. Yes, I can register it with standard truck tags and pay the annual fee for whatever GVW I want to register it at. Obviously, I can also register it as an antique. With this in mind, I go back to my preference of not doing antique tags. I can live with the truck registration fees. What I have not been able to solve in the insurance. I have called all the companies suggested (not for antique, but for standard insurance). Every one of them states that they will either not insure a truck with that high a GVW as a personal use vehicle, or they simply require a CDL. So if anybody has a regular (automotive style) insurance that includes personal use and they don't have a CDL, please let me know. I can also add that not all states are treated the same in this issue. Apparently Virginia is more difficult to get through the insurance hurdle.

Lastly, I didn't come home with my new old Mack B today, but I did close the deal. The seller is going to take care of a few items on the truck. I also got an old van trailer (stainless) as well.