Early Cummins Fuel Injection Systems

heavyhauler

Many antique Mack trucks were and still are equipped with Cummins diesel engines. I have been told that the single disk injection pump was prone to run away, going to full throttle without warning. It was replaced by a double disk version that was supposed to be an improvement but it was plagued with mechanical problems including chronic leakage. It was discontinued in 1954 and replaced by the revolutionary PT or pressure-time pump. I would greatly appreciate any experiences or comments relating to these early fuel injection systems. Many thanks!

John

we got an old timer out here in alexander. john Oneil. his shop was bought out by waltons milk hauling. john worked for cummins for many many years. he may be able to help you,

gg2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

John, the phone # is 585 591 2591. ask for john Oneil, there are a few guys in the shop, his prices are alittle high but he knows his stuff. do you have the pump off or is it on the engine.

if need be give me a call . cell # is 716 432 4267. gg2 don smith

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

Don:

It took 3 attempts to get that pump to work on the 1950 Mack (200HP Cummins) that you see pictured as my avatar. My intent is to try and learn as much as I can about rebuilding these old pumps, and to identify people who could rebuild the pump in the future as a resource. I personally am working on a technical article on SD, DD and PT pumps that should be finished (hopefully) next week so, really, I am trying to pull this all together. Thanks for the info, Don; I'll call John early next week.

John

• 2 months later...