Bearing Adjustment

If you are talking about an old truck which the threads are probably stretched on the axle, I don't feel they can be adjusted by recommended methods cause the bearings will end up being too tight due to fact the outer nut will push the inner nut however much the threads are stretched. I may be too picky on this but thats my story & I'm sticking to it.

Now, adjust inner nut till 0.020 end play, tighten outer nut TIGHT - still got end play? If yes - inner nut ain't tight enough. If no - inner nut is too tight. Keep playing with it till you get 0.002-0.004 preload. May be wise to have somebody on standby for beer runs cause this can take up your afternoon. If you ain't totally drunk by time you finish, you can put hub caps and axles back in.

Thats all the news that is news from Ignorant Ridge!

Tom

If you are talking about an old truck which the threads are probably stretched on the axle, I don't feel they can be adjusted by recommended methods cause the bearings will end up being too tight due to fact the outer nut will push the inner nut however much the threads are stretched. I may be too picky on this but thats my story & I'm sticking to it.

Now, adjust inner nut till 0.020 end play, tighten outer nut TIGHT - still got end play? If yes - inner nut ain't tight enough. If no - inner nut is too tight. Keep playing with it till you get 0.002-0.004 preload. May be wise to have somebody on standby for beer runs cause this can take up your afternoon. If you ain't totally drunk by time you finish, you can put hub caps and axles back in.

Thats all the news that is news from Ignorant Ridge!

Tom

Hello To. Good advice It must have been awhile since I last saw you. I see you aquired quite a few more Dogs. Did you put out any more B Model registries that is one good reference pamphlet. Lots of information. I will probably see you at Macungie.

Guest Bollweevil

Proper bearing adjustment is .001 to .005 loose, not preloaded. You can review the correct procedure by doing a google search on Mack Truck wheel bearing adjustment. It will take you to the Mack service manual, where you can get the information right from the Bulldog's mouth. As a footnote, oil and water don't mix very well. Neither do alcohol and machinery,