Gotta Start the Fix:

Rob

Tonight I pulled the charge air cooler from my "new" R690. It has four tubes smashed and one with a hairline crack. I don't thing the smashed ones will be much of an interference as the tubes are near an inch deep and only crushed about 1/4 inch, (or less). The CAC was dry in the inlet as was the discharge of turbocharger housing. Will need to order a mounting kit as the bushings are beat to death.

When this thing either comes back from the radiator shop, or is replaced, I plan to install a pressure guage into the intake manifold. I ran the truck in the shop with no piping on the turbo outlet and the flow is good at idle, and builds good pressure when restricted by hand and the engine revved. I'd like to see what boost the engine is actually making. The engine seems to be so far down in power that something must be amis. Planning to check static timing over the weekend as this engine running at idle is much quieter than anything else I have that is diesel powered. It's possible the timing is retarded.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.