Don't Think Duct Tape Will Help With This Problem...

RowdyRebel

So I'm driving along, get up to speed after making a turn and climbing a couple hills and go to set my cruise control....

...nothing.

That's when I notice the lightning bolt is lit (hard to see with the sun and all). Check the code & it's 4-1...vehicle speed sensor.

Also noticed, while speedometer has been roughly 5 mph slow for a long time, it's now 8 mph slow.....and the odometer is not clicking over. Drove roughly 40 miles home and it didn't even click a tenth of a mile.

Pull the speed sensor out and it's missing the tip.....done broke off.

So, hop in the pickup and head to Cape....get a new speed sensor.

Go home, install it easy enough...plug it in and we're good to go, right? Fire it up and move the truck forward and the lightning bolt goes out. Excellent...that's what I was hoping for.

So, get my things together to roll out again to deliver my load and that's when I notice something ain't quite right. Not only is the odometer not working, but the speedometer needle ain't moving either.

Good news is I can idle it up for the PTO....but I would rather have the truck right before I head out on the road.

I turned around about a mile up the road and headed back to the house.

The local Mack dealer suggested unplugging it and pugging it back in....or even removal and reinstallation...so going to try that & run it around the block. If that don't work, I'll be needing other suggestions. :pat:

PS...I don't particularly care for the new format....couldn't remember my password (Firefox remembers it for me) and it wouldn't enter the dern thing in the first sign-on screen...luckily, once I screwed up my password once, the next screen allowed Firefox to enter the password for me. Got'er writ down now, so that shouldn't be an issue in the future...but the tiny little smilies under the post window? They ain't even the most commonly looked for ones. :blink:

OK...enough bitching...back to work. <_<

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

...nevermind. Truck's going to Mack. Got thin copper wires (about as thick as a strand of hair) wrapped all up in there...probably the innards of the old sensor. Prolly gonna have to remove the yolk, and pop that back cover off to get it all cleaned up...so I'll just let them do it. Going to need a new seal, anyway (it was starting to leak) and that u-joint had already been bought and was waiting 'til the weekend to change, too....so it'll get a few things taken care of in one shot.

Engines, transmissions, and carriers are the only 3 things I won't tear into on my own here in the driveway...don't mind swapping out little parts & pieces on each of 'em, but when it comes time to crack 'em open, that's what the professionals are for. :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!