How To Tackle Bad Rust Around Windshield

So it rains a bunch today and I needed to move the truck around. Get in the cab only to see two small puddles of water. Look up and see its coming from a large-ish rust hole. I knew about the rust , the question is how do I repair it properly?

I don't like the idea of using a band-aid like bondo, I like the idea of cutting out the bad and welding in a replacement. Something that is permanent. I have a few other holes rotted through but they are pretty minor.

I don't have a MIG or TIG welder nor the experience but if I must, I will buy one and learn.

Anyone got any helpful hints and tips for repairing rust holes? I dont want to dive in head first and ruin an irreplaceable cab.

Rust hole inside cab. I dug around in the hole and have a big pile of rust chips on the floor. I don't know where it all came from and that has me worried.

post-314-0-78332300-1311547938_thumb.jpg

Outside shot, this is where the water entered the cab.

post-314-0-21111500-1311547970_thumb.jpg

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

So it rains a bunch today and I needed to move the truck around. Get in the cab only to see two small puddles of water. Look up and see its coming from a large-ish rust hole. I knew about the rust , the question is how do I repair it properly?

I don't like the idea of using a band-aid like bondo, I like the idea of cutting out the bad and welding in a replacement. Something that is permanent. I have a few other holes rotted through but they are pretty minor.

I don't have a MIG or TIG welder nor the experience but if I must, I will buy one and learn.

Anyone got any helpful hints and tips for repairing rust holes? I dont want to dive in head first and ruin an irreplaceable cab.

Rust hole inside cab. I dug around in the hole and have a big pile of rust chips on the floor. I don't know where it all came from and that has me worried.

post-314-0-78332300-1311547938_thumb.jpg

Outside shot, this is where the water entered the cab.

post-314-0-21111500-1311547970_thumb.jpg

Pretty common place for rust Tad. You will have to remove the windshields and gasket, drill out the spotwelds holding the inner panel that is rusted to the outer panel that is the roof through the "pinchweld" area, and separate the two. Cut the inner panel back far enough on each side to be into solid metal. Don't be afraid to cut the roof to cause rust is very migratory and all of it needs removed. I would look for a donor cab that is not rusted as most are not in that area, but are in others. Being up high in the area is not really a good place to learn to weld but a lot of practice will help wonders.

I always hated those damned visors cause most cause this exact thing.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.