Maxi-Glas

Hello , anybody out there ever do much repair to Maxi-Glas panels ?? Just wondering what type of epoxy or bonding agent to repair broken pieces on mid 80's Mack cab & door panels. Thank's

That is a trade name. There are many names for glass fiber plastic material. Any auto body repair materials supplier will be able to help you. I tend to like the epoxy based glues/resins for repair and bonding of fiber reinforced materials. Don't rely solely on polyester resin to facilitate a repair as it will not self adhere, or "melt into" the parent substrate. Epoxies excel at this. The urethanes are good also but not as good as the epoxies. The main benefit to the urethane based products is speed of cure.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That is a trade name. There are many names for glass fiber plastic material. Any auto body repair materials supplier will be able to help you. I tend to like the epoxy based glues/resins for repair and bonding of fiber reinforced materials. Don't rely solely on polyester resin to facilitate a repair as it will not self adhere, or "melt into" the parent substrate. Epoxies excel at this. The urethanes are good also but not as good as the epoxies. The main benefit to the urethane based products is speed of cure.

Rob

Thanks for the info, top of door is broken ,have piece and it fits very nice, want to repair it correctly, figured on cleaning with acetone and then bond together. Time isn't a big deal, it's not going anywhere real soon.

Thanks for the info, top of door is broken ,have piece and it fits very nice, want to repair it correctly, figured on cleaning with acetone and then bond together. Time isn't a big deal, it's not going anywhere real soon.

Use a natural bristle brush, (not plastic, or nylon) with the acetone, and dry with a blow gun. Don't wipe with a rag as the rag will leave minute fibers behind that inhibit a good bond. There are also chemicals available that will soften the plastic to promote a more thorough bond for the repair.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.