Leaking Head Gasket

mackrd

hi guys new to the site

looking for some help with my 94 rd ,came out this morning to a leaking head gasket

its not getting in the oil, truck has e7 350 with 600,000 miles on it now(150k from me)

just wondering if i should replace just the gasket or is it time for an inframe?

The truck runs well and doesnt use any oil bought from original owners and not sure

if it been apart before. Also anybody know what an inframe would cost (ballpark)?

Apreciate any help

Overhauls are usually only required if the cylinder protrusion above the deck isnt high enough. Low cylinder height doesnt seal the head gasket properly, and can cause premature failure of head gasket. If you have good protrusion, good cross hatching on cylinder walls, throw two new heads on for good measure(yours are probably cracked anyway and the valves are tired and springs are weak), 6 injectors if they havent been serviced recently ($90 a pop, thats cheap) and a head gasket and out the door it goes for $6500 if done at a dealer. My 97 E7 had 780-820,000 miles on it when the head gasket went and i had $6200 into all this and a water pump. Cylinders were up, walls looked great, and it didnt use more than a gallon of oil on 10,000 miles. I got 860 on it now and i sure as hell dont regret not doing a full overhaul. When i priced an overhaul at the time i did the head gasket, it was $14-16,000. I saved $10,000. I belive that overhauls are only nessesary if you have failure in the cylinder, rods, or bearings. A bad head gasket only requires a gasket and heads as long as the cylinders have not settled. E7 engines that have been taken care of should go a million miles or more as long as there is no catastrophic failure elesware. Excessive blow by and oil consumption or traces of metals or soot in oil analysis a good indicator of tired rings i.e. cylinder packs.

Hope this helps

There Is No Replacement, For Displacement!!!!!

Overhauls are usually only required if the cylinder protrusion above the deck isnt high enough. Low cylinder height doesnt seal the head gasket properly, and can cause premature failure of head gasket. If you have good protrusion, good cross hatching on cylinder walls, throw two new heads on for good measure(yours are probably cracked anyway and the valves are tired and springs are weak), 6 injectors if they havent been serviced recently ($90 a pop, thats cheap) and a head gasket and out the door it goes for $6500 if done at a dealer. My 97 E7 had 780-820,000 miles on it when the head gasket went and i had $6200 into all this and a water pump. Cylinders were up, walls looked great, and it didnt use more than a gallon of oil on 10,000 miles. I got 860 on it now and i sure as hell dont regret not doing a full overhaul. When i priced an overhaul at the time i did the head gasket, it was $14-16,000. I saved $10,000. I belive that overhauls are only nessesary if you have failure in the cylinder, rods, or bearings. A bad head gasket only requires a gasket and heads as long as the cylinders have not settled. E7 engines that have been taken care of should go a million miles or more as long as there is no catastrophic failure elesware. Excessive blow by and oil consumption or traces of metals or soot in oil analysis a good indicator of tired rings i.e. cylinder packs.

Hope this helps

thats,,,very interesting,,,and good advise...bob