just wondering what problems maybe incounterd with a 4 axle setup and going 73280. thinking of doing a cruzliner (coe) sleeper single axle newer drive train and airide and a new lightweight 48 foot flat with a spread set at a 45ft seting, thinking empty weight should be 23000lbs. i start out with 50000 on five out of wis. and make stops all the way to the east coast the bounce back to cleveland for a coil to wis. i know there was an old dodge coe and gmc doing this set up in pa and havent seen them in years, just looking to get better fuel milage and less expence thanks

That used to be a real common setup on the east coast... remember fondly seeing the flatbeds with "three nines" pulled by a single axle tractor. Still see 4 axle combos grossing 73,280 in Florida, with the 22k single and 44k tandem limits there the payload works out about the same as a 5 axle unit at 80k. I think the limiting factor would be the 20k single axle limits in the WI and other midwest states. But if you can distribute the load right with 12k on the tractor front axle, 20k on the drive axle, and 40k on the trailers spread tandem you'll get a 72k GCW. With a 15k empty tractor and 9k trailer you'd have a 48k payload, which is more than a lot of the bloated large cars can legally scale with 5 axles at 80k.