Mack Cf Trasfer Valve?

tniss

I own a 1970 Mack CF with a two stage Waterous pump. The transfer valve is stuck in "pressure" mode and I can't get it to switch over to "volume". It's manual and I have greased all of the fittings I could find and it won't budge. Any ideas???

Edited by tniss

Tniss,

Hook it up to a hydrant and use a pony line to connect the hydrant to one 2-1/2" discharge (or 2 if you have 2 pony lines), this will then force the water to flow in reverse to push the clapper valves the other direction, then take a brass hammer and tap on the transfer valve where the clappers are and see if you can break them loose. Before you hook it to the hydrant check the shaft on the transfer valve operator. Tap the shaft on either end and work the lever at the same time. If it has a pump drain located close to the transfer valve disconnect the drain valve and see if you can soak the transfer valve on the inside with PB Blaster. Worst case you may have to take the transfer valve out and then see what caused it to freeze. I don't have a Waterous pump book, but you might also check and see if they have any recommendations.

Firemack

Firemack gives good advice. If you are adept at things, just disassemble and reassemble. I am assuming that the change over wheel is frozen and you can't turn it when you say "it won't budge." In most cases, and I have most of my experience with Waterous electric change overs (but they are similar in their valv configuration), what you describe can either (1) be easily rectified by grease and a little added force on the wheel or (2) if that doesn't work, there is sand, rust, or some other crap in the clappers and you will need to rebuild the valve. Not exercising that valve at least every couple of weeks allows schmutz to form a nice cake solid.

Good luck. If it is a nothing, Firemack's approach will solve it.

WARNING: DO NOT

Art Lawrence

arthur.lawrence@firetruck.com

Gaithersburg, MD